Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Modifying my Flashlights

Quote Originally Posted by AF7XM View Post
    The LED's sure make the meter look nice.
    It actually looks a lot better in person. I never cared for the combination of incandescent lamp, meter backing material color and bezel filter color. The best way to describe the Paragon's updated meter lighting is "medium cool white". Conversely, the 253's is "bright neutral". It's very readable from across my shack.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AF7XM View Post
    I'm sure a foglight draws significantly more current than that circuit was designed for. I would use the signal from the b\u light circuit to trip a relay to power the lamp.
    There are many options I've discovered involving LED assemblies marketed mainly towards the 4x4 crowd. I've discovered a pair of LED foglights under $20 on Amazon and I have someone with a prime account to help hook a brother up. I will still use a relay circuit so I can trip them on in reverse or by toggle switch. Friggin LED's are awesome!
    Interestingly enough,a lot of those guys who run LED headlights have issues with them in the snow, the LEDs don't have enough waste heat to melt the snow and ice...
    Last edited by KG4NEL; 01-19-2017 at 10:56 PM.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Reverse lights are mostly 21 watt bulbs, i have 2 of them burning in reverse in my Hyundai Atoz.
    That would be 42 watts or about 4 Amps, my fuse is a 5 amp fuse for them.
    Fog and headlights are mostly 45/or 55 watts each.
    H4 lamps are 55/65 watts here combined.
    So, simply check fuse and go from there.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Conch Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4NEL View Post
    Interestingly enough,a lot of those guys who run LED headlights have issues with them in the snow, the LEDs don't have enough waste heat to melt the snow and ice...
    Huh, never thought of that. But then I haven't thought of snow in a while. Guess you have to go with wipers and washers on the headlights now.

Better yet, figure out how to blow engine compartment air through the lights.
    Last edited by KK4AMI; 01-20-2017 at 08:07 AM.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Quote Originally Posted by KG4NEL

Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    Huh, never thought of that. But then I haven't thought of snow in a while. Guess you have to go with wipers and washers on the headlights now.

Better yet, figure out how to blow engine compartment air through the lights.
    I converted one of my motorcycle headlights to an LED bulb (6000K; 3500 lumens) last spring. While the new light nicely illuminates road signs and other objects waayyyyy out yonder, it falls a little short in the near-field department. Not in intensity, mind you - the light is evenly distributed throughout the beam pattern. It's more a matter of spectrum: The pavement itself seems to fluoresce better with a color temperature of around 2800-3500K.

Thus, I run my flanking spotlights (equipped with 35w incandescents) in conjunction with the main light. Works very well. I want to eliminate some of the remaining current draw.

This summer I'm going to replace all of them with a Daymaker setup in as low a color temperature as I can find.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Conch Master
    Amber lens might help there as well. I know they have LEDs that emit from infrared to ultraviolet, mixing it up might help.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Forum Addict
    I'm just solving the issue by going with non-DOT approved H4 bulbs when I upgrade later this year

I love NC's almost total-lack of vehicle inspections...
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by KG4NEL View Post
    I'm just solving the issue by going with non-DOT approved H4 bulbs when I upgrade later this year

I love NC's almost total-lack of vehicle inspections...
    Worse in SC. People running those super bright white lights are bad enough but the install, the INSTALL! They don't know, or care, that lights can be aimed and low beams are LOW for a reason. Currently there is a penis competition over headlights and light bars.
    Put it this way, judicious use of such extreme lighting is unheard of. Hyperbole? Maybe but, late night in Pickens County it is easy to mistake vehicular lighting for ground traveling UFOs.

The same shit goes on out in the woods of NW OR too. WTF??

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Conch Master
    Funny that you guys bring that up. I took my wife to CVS to pick up her drugs. While I was waiting in the parking lot, a "Huge" Ford pickup parked in front of me. His bumper and grill were up to my windshield. He had so many lights on his truck, that I was afraid if he accidentally hit the rocker switch, I would die like a moth in a bug zapper.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    Uh Huh, What Love?