Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All Dutch trains run on green energy now.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

All Dutch trains run on green energy now.

All Dutch trains have become 100% powered by electricity generated by wind energy, the national railway company NS has said .
    “Since 1 January, 100% of our trains are running on wind energy,” said NS spokesman, Ton Boon.

Dutch electricity company Eneco won a tender offered by NS two years ago and the two companies signed a 10-year deal setting January 2018 as the date by which all NS trains should run on wind energy.
    “So we in fact reached our goal a year earlier than planned,” said Boon, adding that an increase in the number of wind farms across the country and off the coast of the Netherlands had helped NS achieve its aim.
    Eneco and NS said on a joint website that around 600,000 passengers daily are “the first in the world” to travel thanks to wind energy. NS operates about 5,500 train trips a day.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ind-powered-ns
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

This is awesome. Where are we, here stateside, on train technology?

I think we're having another look at coal fired locomotives...:roll:

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    This is awesome. Where are we, here stateside, on train technology?
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Conch Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg View Post
    What He said. First we need to get trains. At least We are creating the wind farms around here. A second one is going up this year in our county.
    Last edited by KK4AMI; 01-11-2017 at 06:34 AM.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg View Post
    That's part of Trumps "Make America Great Again" plan. When all those coal mines and steel mills are reopened we'll all be running our trains and heating our homes with coal again. The coal delivery truck will once again be a common site as well as yellow-brown sulphur filled air from all the coal burning. I will be removing our new efficient gas furnace and replacing it with a turn of the century coal furnace. Trust me, it will be great. Trump makes the best deals in town.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

It is a good step in the right direction.
    More important is the development of the European super grid, connecting all countries together.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-cable-britned

It stretches 260km under the North Sea, contains 23,000 tonnes of copper and lead, and may represent the first step towards a renewable energy revolution based on a European electricity "supergrid". The £500m BritNed cable, which has just entered operation, is the first direct current electricity link from the UK to another country in 25 years.
    Operational since 2011.

The high voltage cable, a joint venture between the UK National Grid and the Dutch grid operator TenneT, has a capacity of 1,000MW, the equivalent of a nuclear power station. It runs from the Isle of Grain in Kent to Maasvlakte, near Rotterdam, in the Netherlands.
    High voltage DC (HVDC) cables allow electricity to be transmitted over much greater distances than existing alternating current lines, which start losing power after 80km. A network of HVDC cables across Europe is seen as the key to "weather-proofing" the large scale use of renewable energy, some forms of which are intermittent and have to be balanced in real time with generation elsewhere.
    The longest existing subsea HVDC cable is 580km, linking Norway and the Netherlands.

See article for already existing infrastructure and planned infrastructure.

At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Sometimes I wish there was a "like" button...

This makes me happy.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Me too

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Looking at all the new solar panels going up the houses roofing here it is clear that solar panels now are cheap, and deliver profit in relative short time for pay back the system.

Our city installed large solar panels in new build area's supplying street lighting with energy running electricity battery's for night power. ( recycled old EV car battery's)
    Most now LED lights, bright and low energy use.
    Even the alley's get public LED lighting that way.

Central heating on natural gas are replaced by heatpump systems at the end of life of the gas fed central heating system.
    New build houses don't get connected to the gas lines, completely running on heat pump systems and own generated electricity power and warm water solar panels.

Having thee EU super grid is the backbone for sharing surplus energy around in the Eu countries that need the extra energy or visa versa.
    The sun aleays shines somewhere in the EU and the wind blows always somewhere in the EU.
    Ground/air heat systems came a long way as well.

I'm happy for y'all over there, Cor. I suspect the only new train we'll make over here will be nuclear powered and built by the Navy.