Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New apparatus

New apparatus

It's been a long time in the making, but the end is in sight. I took a trip over to Appleton today to visit Pierce Mfg., and see our new engine and ladder truck on the line. I'm told we will be the first department in the State of Wisconsin to take delivery on a new Ascendant 107 ladder truck next month.

Our rescue pumper is a bit further along in the process and should be on target for delivery the first half of February.

I signed the door panel.

I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

Is that a mechanical siren on the front bumper? I ask because it appears that some of the local agencies have switched back to those from the electronic type over the last couple of years and I was wondering if it's some sort of trend in the profession.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Yes, that is a Federal Q, the gold standard in sirens. Connected to foot switches accessible by the driver and office.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q2B

The front bumper on that engine will also carry two hydraulic reels with 100' of hose on each, dump valves and a trash line. Hydraulics within 100 feet of the apparatus will be provided by an electric pump in a side compartment plumbed to those reels. Electricity will be provided from an onboard hydraulic driven genset. For ops more than 100' out, we will still used the same tools, just connected to a gas powered portable hydraulic pump.
    Last edited by KC9ECI; 01-10-2017 at 09:51 AM.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

Shirley it comes with a Dalmatian.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

For what they charge, you would think

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

My brother had dalmations. Mean bastids. As I've heard it, back in the day they were used by FD's for that exact reason. When the fire was over, whoever was tapped in to the plug was the company that got paid. Dalmatians were used to guard the plug. And don't call me Shirley.

You. Are. Shitting. Us.

That really went on? WTF?

Oh, how about LaVerne then?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

LaVerne works. I've always wanted a bowling shirt with a big L stitched on to it.

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    Is that a mechanical siren on the front bumper? I ask because it appears that some of the local agencies have switched back to those from the electronic type over the last couple of years and I was wondering if it's some sort of trend in the profession.
    I think the FDNY uses mechanical sirens on some of their new trucks. Of else,if they are electronic they sound an awful lot like the old sirens from when I was a kid. I would ask but just about all the FDNY guys I know are retired.

Actually from a brief read it appears that they are still using the Federal Q2B electromechanical's on many of their present day trucks.
    Last edited by n2ize; 01-18-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.