Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Sears selling craftsman tool division.

  1. #11
    Volcano Tamer W3WN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Castle Shannon, PA
    Posts
    17,419
    Quote Originally Posted by VE7DCW View Post
    Is Sears still based in Chicago(i.e. "the Sears Tower'') or have they farmed themselves out to Mexico and China and watered themselves down? .... that would explain the bulk of their decision making!
    They're no longer in the former Sears Tower, but what's left of their HQ is still based in IL. For now.
    You're only as young, or as old, as you feel.
    Who have you felt up lately?

    BAN THE DH!

    Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

    Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

    The Borg are wrong.
    Resistance is
    NOT Futile.
    Resistance is Voltage divided by Current

  2. #12
    Whacker Knot WTKX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Evergreen, CO
    Posts
    25,792
    If you dig into the recent history, their is/was a connection between Sears Holdings and the all but dead Radioshack.

    It has to do with the well paid vampires that deal with the demise.
    ''Who is Barack Obama? Contrary to the rumors you have heard, I was not born in a manger.
    I was actually born on Krypton and sent here by my father Jor-El to save the Planet Earth.''



  3. #13
    Forum Addict
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    2,870
    Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    I wonder what happens to the lifetime warranty now. I have a large roll-about toolbox filled with Craftsman stuff.
    If you had tried to replace them, you would've gotten inferior items anyway.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupry



  4. #14
    Forum Addict
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    2,870
    Craftsman is gone, but there are a ton of good US-made hand tool companies out there. Wright, SK (who recently emerged from French ownership, making stuff in Illinois again), Proto (a StanleyB&D holding, but one they've mostly not-fucked-around-with), Armstrong, Cornwell, and of course the Snap-On/Williams behemoth (which are mostly overpriced unless you need daily replacements).
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupry



  5. #15
    Volcano Tamer w2amr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    National Park N.J.
    Posts
    16,121
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4NEL View Post
    Craftsman is gone, but there are a ton of good US-made hand tool companies out there. Wright, SK (who recently emerged from French ownership, making stuff in Illinois again), Proto (a StanleyB&D holding, but one they've mostly not-fucked-around-with), Armstrong, Cornwell, and of course the Snap-On/Williams behemoth (which are mostly overpriced unless you need daily replacements).
    I bought all my snap-on tools for work 25 years ago. If I had to replace them today, it would cost a fortune.

  6. #16
    "Island Bartender" KG4CGC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    EM84ru, Easley SC
    Posts
    46,490
    Sears I suppose, has decided that it is against their policy to sell anything but the worst shit possible so just drop the one thing left that still stood for "some" thing. Quarterly profits over long term longevity. That is what caused the downward spiral into oblivion across the board.
    RIP Albi
    When do you tell a woman you're a ham?
    Does YOUR avatar represent a time in your life?


  7. #17
    Master Navigator WZ7U's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Upper left - CN86jc
    Posts
    2,451
    Quote Originally Posted by w2amr View Post
    I bought all my snap-on tools for work 25 years ago. If I had to replace them today, it would cost a fortune.
    Hell, 30 years ago it cost a fortune. I started on the tool trucks in '84 and then it was crazy expensive, but without a family to support I could justify the expense. If I had to start over again now it would be simply ridiculous. I don't know how these kids are doing it now.
    Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God - not the Huge White Asshole kind

    Doing good is like picking fresh blackberries - if it doesn't sting a little sometimes, perhaps you're doing something wrong.

  8. #18
    La Rata Del Desierto K7SGJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Desert
    Posts
    16,523
    Quote Originally Posted by AF7XM View Post
    Hell, 30 years ago it cost a fortune. I started on the tool trucks in '84 and then it was crazy expensive, but without a family to support I could justify the expense. If I had to start over again now it would be simply ridiculous. I don't know how these kids are doing it now.
    Like most everything with the youngsters, they got to have it right now, can't wait, put it on the cuff.

    I use to see these young kids with big houses, a car or two, a big diesel pickup, motorcycles, UTV, maybe a boat, and a toy-hauler. I can't believe all of these kids are independently wealthy, or have two 6 digit plus incomes. A guy I used to work with had all that stuff, and bought another house. The idea being to keep it for a short while, and then selling it for a lot more than he paid for it. When the housing thingy happened, he lost it all because he had no equity in any of it. Needless to say, he wasn't the only one wiped out. Now, with the apparent recovery, it seems like it starting all over again.
    Grandma can't wrestle, but you oughta see her box


    RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL





  9. #19
    Master Navigator KC2KFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,333
    Quote Originally Posted by w2amr View Post
    I think the wheels started to fall off after they bought K-Mart.
    Actually, K-Mart bought Sears.

    Link to Article
    Atticus told me to delete the adjectives and I'd have the facts.

    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

    "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

    cura te ipsum

  10. #20
    Master Navigator KC2KFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,333
    Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Like most everything with the youngsters, they got to have it right now, can't wait, put it on the cuff.

    I use to see these young kids with big houses, a car or two, a big diesel pickup, motorcycles, UTV, maybe a boat, and a toy-hauler. I can't believe all of these kids are independently wealthy, or have two 6 digit plus incomes. A guy I used to work with had all that stuff, and bought another house. The idea being to keep it for a short while, and then selling it for a lot more than he paid for it. When the housing thingy happened, he lost it all because he had no equity in any of it. Needless to say, he wasn't the only one wiped out. Now, with the apparent recovery, it seems like it starting all over again.
    You can't fix stupid.
    Atticus told me to delete the adjectives and I'd have the facts.

    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

    "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

    cura te ipsum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •