Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FCC Dimissess Petitions For Rulemaking

There are very few closed repeaters here in San Diego County but most of them are still silent the majority of the time. Of course, there are also a shit-ton of them (as in, good luck trying to get a frequency pair for a new coordinated 2m repeater) so it just may be that the traffic is spread thinly.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Forum Addict
    Closed repeaters were never really a thing here. There are a few, but I think they're literally on a pole in someone's backyard.

We did lose a terrific linked system about 10 years ago, and I don't think it's been the same since.

SERA can go choke, though.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Their ultimate goal? Eliminate all but one license class, and eliminate all testing. Oh, and eliminate the rules, too. So that anyone can get on Amateur Radio frequencies and do whatever they want to their hearts content!

This is not a knock: They want Amateur Radio to become CB. They don't appreciate why there is a difference between the two services. They place no value in their licenses. All they know is that their buddies can't (or won't) do it, so that means the big bad guv'mint is picking on them.
    Ron. That sounds like it reads straight out of an NRA pamphlet at a gun show.
    Just saying, because, well ...

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Ask yourself why.

Around these parts, a large percentage of the VHF Gang became fed up with the closed/private/club/good-ol'-boys repeater network (along with the antics of their owners) and either left for FM simplex or left for HF. A few of us stood up our own systems, or got into weak-signal (SSB/CW) modes.

If you don't want me or my group of compadres using your system, fine. Just don't come begging for donations, parts, materials, what have you when your existing userbase can't or won't contribute any longer.

And that's what will keep the youth off of VHF. Most don't have the scratch for anything past an HT, and those who do certainly aren't going to be propping up (to use a Kelli term) the local silverbacks.

Either open it up for everyone - with no imposed conditions except for adherence to Part 97 - or shut the thing off and turn your pair back into the Coordination Committee for reassignment.
    That, and/or you have these goobers that have a pair assigned but then don't have any equipment running on it, tying the pair up for someone that might actually want to put up a machine. There's a repeater listed for my locality that has that exact scenario. Not that I have anything to put up for it, but you get the point. I don't want to be a control op either. Yeah, I grew out of repeaters quite a while back for the reasons pontificated above so eloquently.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Ron. That sounds like it reads straight out of an NRA pamphlet at a gun show.
    Just saying, because, well ...
    Because what, exactly?

I do not own a firearm. I am not and never have been a member of the NRA. I have never seen an NRA pamphlet and I have never gone to a gun show. So I have no idea WTF you are talking about or trying to imply.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Because what, exactly?

I do not own a firearm. I am not and never have been a member of the NRA. I have never seen an NRA pamphlet and I have never gone to a gun show. So I have no idea WTF you are talking about or trying to imply.
    OK. Fear mongering. Scare tactics. A false narrative which I've heard for at least 20 years which simply isn't true. That and there simply is no such thing as a "Lid Filter." The code test back in the day didn't stop the bad players. I've heard numerous times of how widespread cronyism is in the VEC. It may have happened in a couple of isolated incidents where people were passed who didn't even take the test etc.

Your ownership or non ownership of a firearm isn't the issue and never was so I'm not even going to address that. I think you know that though. If you want a strongarm faction of the ARRL I would suspect it would only attract a certain type of personality, the type which is prone to fear mongering and scare tactics and constantly giving dire warnings of impending doom.

The only thing AR has to worry about is lack of spectrum usage. The FCC will see this and look for ways to manage that spectrum. That could very well mean selling off spectrum to paying players. Based on that I would suspect AR would want to attract more users. Since AR literally has to compete with the Internet and computers as far as young people go AND cellphones for basic communications as far as everyone else goes, dire warnings about every Tom, Dick and Harry being able to get on the air and treat it as a playground kind of comes off as hyperbole.
    It's a hobby which shares something that is considered a national resource, the airwaves. As a national resource which crosses state lines it involves federal government guidelines. We all accept that.

Two guys are jousting at windmills if you really look at it in terms of their fantasy vs everyone else's reality. Unless you're just trying to slam these two as hard as you can to make sure that they never get back up off the ground, then that's one thing. All the old and used up fear mongering scare tactics are just that and won't necessarily attract well adjusted individuals into the hobby. I see it as a way to get the knuckle dragging reactionaries to fight a battle against an unseen and invisible injustice which more than likely simply does not exist. You'll just have more spoon fed people jousting at those metaphorical wind mills.
    Just like the NRA does.

Has the NRA been successful? Yes they have. But they have been successful at a very high cost. They bought off a lot of congress critters. They continue to collect money. They continue to make money. They have also changed the psyche of the nation and legitimized those who are just itching to bag them a bad guy. I wouldn't want that vigilantism and everything that goes with it to spill over to AR.

I hope that explains it.

The question raised was, what was their goal? What was their purpose in submitting these proposals.

I gave an answer based on my reading of the proposals, and what little I knew of the two idjits, er induhviduals making said proposals. I could be wrong, certainly wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last.

How you got from that to where you are now, I think you're reading WAY too much into it, regarding what I believe. Which I did not bring into the conversation. That is the only interpretation I can make from your inference that I'm somehow being influenced by those right-wing nut jobs who are as bad or worse than the left-wing nut jobs who want... well, the opposite, I'm not getting into THAT right now.

Believe what you want. I'm done with this thread, before I say something that we're both going to end up regretting.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

The question raised was, what was their goal? What was their purpose in submitting these proposals.

I gave an answer based on my reading of the proposals, and what little I knew of the two idjits, er induhviduals making said proposals. I could be wrong, certainly wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last.

How you got from that to where you are now, I think you're reading WAY too much into it, regarding what I believe. Which I did not bring into the conversation. That is the only interpretation I can make from your inference that I'm somehow being influenced by those right-wing nut jobs who are as bad or worse than the left-wing nut jobs who want... well, the opposite, I'm not getting into THAT right now.

Believe what you want. I'm done with this thread, before I say something that we're both going to end up regretting.
    Damn. I was just saying. You know, because ...

I don't know what you believe or think at this point. The whole fear and scare thing has been used so much that I guess it has become a daily, normal thing.
    You have a couple of guys that want a free ticket. Maybe you don't see it but looking in from the outside, which is where I'm sitting, I swear it seems like the end of civilization based off a couple of key phrases which relates exactly to what everyone is saying about everything across all news and media.

If you don't want to discuss it anymore then so be it. Sorry. I wasn't trying to do anything nefarious to your thread. I guess if you want to rally people you have to get them stirred up. It's a shame that it has to be that way. I see it everywhere in the "news" media, on social networking media and people just talking to each other on the street. Such and such a group (or person) wants something for free (maybe or maybe not) and it's going to ruin life as we know it.

I'm sure if we were talking face to face you would be able to sense my tone. IT'S NOT LIKE I'M TYPING IN ALL CAPS! Perhaps you, as well, were not typing in all caps.

Oh come on! Even after the love letter and everything?