Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What I got for Christmas...

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt View Post
    Selectric? My Dad got one of those new in the 70's. Still works.
    I picked up a nice IBM Selectric II at an estate sale, a few weeks ago, in working condition, for the princely sum of $15.

I write short stories, mysteries, for a hobby and I like writing on a manual typewriter. The Selectric will be put on display with the rest of my collection.
    Stay healthy my friends.

Heya Charles!

Well, the Boss got a lot of nice stuff, including a new Pirates jersey she really wanted.

Little Miss Field Day got a lot of nice stuff, including a Hamilton wall calendar for 2017, which came as a total and pleasant surprise.

I got socks.

(Well, I also got myself a 2017 ARRL Handbook at the same time I ordered the Hamilton calendar & a related book about the Broadway play, but they don't know that)

I was hoping to buy a small amp, but the Boss overspent on toys for the grandkids, which drained just enough funds to put me under the threshold. But I have some shekels set aside now; I'll add to it over the next few weeks, paycheck by paycheck, and by WASHFest 2017, I should have enough.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Conch Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Well, the Boss got a lot of nice stuff, including a new Pirates jersey she really wanted.

Little Miss Field Day got a lot of nice stuff, including a Hamilton wall calendar for 2017, which came as a total and pleasant surprise.

I got socks.

(Well, I also got myself a 2017 ARRL Handbook at the same time I ordered the Hamilton calendar & a related book about the Broadway play, but they don't know that)

I was hoping to buy a small amp, but the Boss overspent on toys for the grandkids, which drained just enough funds to put me under the threshold. But I have some shekels set aside now; I'll add to it over the next few weeks, paycheck by paycheck, and by WASHFest 2017, I should have enough.
    Just keep humming Carly Simon's "Anticipation". That is what I do. It'll make the wait that much more rewarding.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    Just keep humming Carly Simon's "Anticipation". That is what I do. It'll make the wait that much more rewarding.
    Thanks, but... No.

I like, strongly prefer actually, Heinz Ketchup, but I'm not humming or singing any of their commercials.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 2K!!

Conch Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Thanks, but... No.

I like, strongly prefer actually, Heinz Ketchup, but I'm not humming or singing any of their commercials.
    My days of humming for regular ketchup are over. We only buy the low carb, no sugar, no fructose stuff (basically just vinegar with a tomato floating in it.) I am being turned into a mustard and horse radish man.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Funny you should mention that...

Years ago, the old, old sitcom "My Three Sons" had an episode where one of the sons was playing psychological-type pranks (if memory serves, for a school project) on his father and "Uncle Charlie".

At one point, the boy(s) added a lot of sugar to the ketchup bottle. Then at dinner, they tried to hornswoggle Uncle Charlie into believing that the tomato crop was sweeter this year... and Dad looks right at them with a Don't-BS-Me look and says "Who put sugar in the ketchup?"

Only thing is, since then, it's not a joke. Amazing, and sad, how many food items have had sugar added to them, over the last few decades.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 2K!!

From Wikipedia:

In the 17th century, the Chinese mixed a concoction of pickled fish and spices and called it (in the Amoy dialect) kôe-chiap or kę-chiap (鮭汁, Mandarin Chinese guī zhī, Cantonese gwai1 zap1) meaning the brine of pickled fish (鮭, salmon; 汁, juice) or shellfish. By the early 18th century, the table sauce had made it to the Malay states (present day Malaysia and Singapore), where it was tasted by English colonists. The Indonesian-Malay word for the sauce was kecap (pronounced "kay-chap"). That word evolved into the English word "ketchup". English settlers then took ketchup with them to the American colonies.

The term Ketchup was used in 1690 in the Dictionary of the Canting Crew which was well acclaimed in North America. The spelling "catchup" may have also been used in the past.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

I received a Notice of Inquiry from the FCC.

And the XYL bought me a new computer, so that'll come in handy when I respond.