Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yaesu FT-902DM restoration

Master Navigator
    I had a 902DM that was a pretty decent radio, but it developed some issues over time. The biggest annoyance was a need to occasionally reseat all of the circuit boards after a thorough cleaning of the contacts. Then, after a realignement, it would be back up to snuff.

Something happened to the VFO on mine. The knob seemed to be eccentric, and over time, it became more so, making it difficult to operate. I ended up using the external VFO most of the time. It was like it had been hit very hard with something, bending the shaft, but to my knowledge, it never was.

Quote Originally Posted by K0RGR View Post
    I had a 902DM that was a pretty decent radio, but it developed some issues over time. The biggest annoyance was a need to occasionally reseat all of the circuit boards after a thorough cleaning of the contacts. Then, after a realignement, it would be back up to snuff.
    That's one which I've never experienced. High humidity in the shack? Other environmental factors? I've heard of people putting Vaseline or dielectric grease on the edge connectors to keep oxidation to a minimum. DeOxIt might be another option.

Quote Originally Posted by K0RGR View Post
    Something happened to the VFO on mine. The knob seemed to be eccentric, and over time, it became more so, making it difficult to operate. I ended up using the external VFO most of the time. It was like it had been hit very hard with something, bending the shaft, but to my knowledge, it never was.
    The weak spot in any Yaesu rig of the period appears to be the tuning mechanism. Fortunately, I have a complete spare VFO from a '901DM plus another of those in parts - and the '902's setup will be swapped for the one which tunes "backwards". All of the 90x VFOs here at present operate smoothly.

My FR-101's VFO, on the other hand ...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."