Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brewing

Brewing

So. Other than ham radio, one of my other hobbies is brewing. Got 10 gallons of Irish Red Ale going now.

I also bake bread.

I also enjoy the occasional Bloody Mary.

And for all of that, it still doesn't stop me from doing stupid things like building a redneck boombox.

It has a solar charge controller, small SLA 12V battery, dual USB port, and since the photo I've added a bottle cap remover and cap catcher. Currently in service on top of my desk bluetoothed to my Echo Dot.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

HOLY SHITSNAX! That's an awesome looking brew and the chorizo garden pickle Bloody Mary looks like the Breakfast of Champions!

One question: How's that little amp perform?

Just fine. The FM radio portion isn't a great performer, but I really bought it for the bluetooth for when we're sitting around the campfire. It's also great for a beach day on the river. I think I paid $17 for the amp, $15 for the speakers. The rest I had laying around leftover or scavanged from other projects.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

Orca Whisperer
    Hats off to those who make beer. That shit is complicated. I do wine, and it is by far easier.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Forum Addict
    I choose to be more on the consumption side than the production side. Luckily, I have friends who are
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Oddly, I think wine making is a bit more complex than the whole beer thing. I do a little of that as well. I tend to go through a lot of Skeeter Pee in the summer. You'd be surprised at the reception you get when you show up on an island out on the river with a 5 gallon keg of the stuff on ice.

I used to make beer. And mead. I'm a big fan (but I rarely drink now) of dry crisp Weissbiers.

And oh man, the Dunkelweiss varieties are an amazing treat!
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by KC9ECI View Post
    Oddly, I think wine making is a bit more complex than the whole beer thing. I do a little of that as well. I tend to go through a lot of Skeeter Pee in the summer. You'd be surprised at the reception you get when you show up on an island out on the river with a 5 gallon keg of the stuff on ice.
    Man, maybe I just don't get beer brewing then. I mean wine is:

* Take must, add yeast
    * Stir shit out of must/yeast
    * Wait 1 month, transfer to car boy
    * Repeat until clear

Beer is like:
    * Boil some shit, but not too much, or you'll kill it
    * Add some hops, but not too much or you'll kill it. Oh, and make sure you add enough, or you'll kill it
    * Add some yeast, but make sure you proof it right, or you'll kill it
    * Wait a month, put it in bottles
    * Add some sugar to bottles. Not too much, or you'll make explosive devices. Oh, add just enough, or you'll be drinking flat, bitter, alcoholic water
    * And, at every step, sterilize everything, or else you'll infect it!

:P
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

I skip the whole add sugar and bottle BS, I keg and force carbonate. Much easier, far more predictable results.

I like the black, heavy porters. Thick with a full mouth feel and powerful malt notes.