Thread: Replacing VFO/PTO Units With a DDS VFO

Replacing VFO/PTO Units With a DDS VFO

In regards to the Omni VI repairs, I thought these comments from Gary WØDVN might be of interest.

This was his recent post to the Ten Tec reflector, in context of a reply to comments about changing a stock Ten Tec PTO, or another 5 - 5.5 MHz VFO/PTO unit, to a DDS one. (Not because the VFO/PTO had an issue or wasn't repairable, just to 'improve' things and/or add other features.

Since I know some of us (hi Fred!) are looking into or doing these types of swaps, I thought this pertinent.

Gary's view are all his own. by the way. Not mine; I lack experience to make an informed post on the subject.
    On 12/13/16, Dukes HiFi<dukeshifi@comcast.net> wrote:

Having just repaired an Omni 6+ 5.0 to 5.5 MHz PLL, I can see why many might like a simpler DDS offering.

However, there is a dark side.

Many of these do not use enough bits to draw the sine wave from the lookup table in ROM to provide anything nearly as good as what the Omni 5 and 6 PLL's provide.

You end up with some really odd looking distortion products that are only down from the full output by the bit resolution of the DAC. Thus, a 16 bit DAC can only offer 96 dB local oscillator purity below full output, even worse (84 dB) for the more common 14 bit D to A devices in low cost DDS circuits.

I had thought of putting one of these into my Paragon and even bought one. I decided that the performance was not even as good as the relatively poor PLL synthesizer in the original Paragon.

One COULD put the DDS synthesizer at high frequency and divide it down like Ten Tec did in the late Omni's.

I am not sure if these low cost devices work at 200 MHz. If they were available, then one could simply use the simple divider/filter that Ten Tec used.

Gary

Last edited by W3WN; 12-14-2016 at 08:54 AM.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

This is why one owns a spectrum analyzer with resolution down to, say, 3KHz.

One snapshots the OEM VFO output then does same with the DDS unit and compares them. If it's dirty it isn't going in the rig...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Pure sine waves are not a step function.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Pure sine waves are not a step function.
    And this is why one employs a flywheel in the form of a filter network on the device output.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Spark gap, man. Real hams use spark gap transmitters.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Forum Addict
    Flywheel, PTO...

Is this tractor repair?
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry