Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now that I'm getting back into running...

Orca Whisperer

Now that I'm getting back into running...

... after an injury recovery period, I've picked back up with the game "Zombies, Run!"

It's actually quite an immersive story. Does anyone else here play? It works for cycling and walking, as well, in case folks were wondering.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Forum Addict
    My usual running paths have enough lumbering people in the way that I just imagine they're zombies anyway... :yum:
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by KG4NEL View Post
    My usual running paths have enough lumbering people in the way that I just imagine they're zombies anyway... :yum:
    They're playing Pokemon GO. :rofl:

I wish that game had a true "cycle" or "jog" mode. At the speeds I usually ride I get the "You're going too fast!" splash screen, which puts the game into a mode that prevents it from accruing distance traveled.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    They're playing Pokemon GO. :rofl:

I wish that game had a true "cycle" or "jog" mode. At the speeds I usually ride I get the "You're going too fast!" splash screen, which puts the game into a mode that prevents it from accruing distance traveled.
    You can submit a bug report to Niantic. They're pretty open to stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    You can submit a bug report to Niantic. They're pretty open to stuff like that.
    It's not a bug, Corey...it's their "feature". Meant to keep people from playing it via car.

Speed cutoff to accrue distance walked is ~10.5Km/hr based on personal observations; backed up by numerous player comments in real life and on the 'Net.

My normal riding speeds are ~25-30Km/hr depending on trail condition and winds. At that speed - coupled with the distances I cover in a single outing - it's very possible to hatch an entire loadout of 10K eggs, one after the other. If only the game would let me. :(
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    It's not a bug, Corey...it's their "feature". Meant to keep people from playing it via car.

Speed cutoff to accrue distance walked is ~10.5Km/hr based on personal observations; backed up by numerous player comments in real life and on the 'Net.

My normal riding speeds are ~25-30Km/hr depending on trail condition and winds. At that speed - coupled with the distances I cover in a single outing - it's very possible to hatch an entire loadout of 10K eggs, one after the other. If only the game would let me. :(
    Oh yeah... forgot they added that.

They should add a bicycle mode to the game. Here's how I would do it to eliminate the car-player cheats:

Cateye makes a cycle computer known as a Padrone, and it also comes in a "smart" version which tightly integrates with your Android or iPhone smart-phone via Bluetooth. It can be run in two speed-detecting modes: GPS, and wheel-sensor.

Add an API to the game which allows a registered Padrone to input wheel speed sensor data and verify that data with a GPS reading from the game itself. Physical logistics involved in attaching one to a car plus the cost of the computer itself are going to eliminate a large percentage of potential cheaters.

You can then bike and play to your heart's content. A notifier function integrated with the existing Padrone app (similar to how a Pokemon GO Plus bracelet works) would allow one to keep the phone secured in a fork bag until the next Stop or batch of critters shows up on the radar.

I think Gerry wrote a song about running in Canada, "Home of round bacon".

"Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by NA4BH View Post
    I think Gerry wrote a song about running in Canada, "Home of round bacon".
    Gerry likes Nickelback. 'Nuff said, eh?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I didn't know they had a return deposit on round bacon. A nickle? I really didn't know that.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15