Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for another rig

Banned

Looking for another rig

I won't be back to the computer for a while but I thought I would ask about opinions on a new HF radio.

It's gotta have great CW functionality. I'd like to spend under a grand but a little over would probably work for the right option.

FT-991. Thinking hard about the non-A version. Looks like there have been more than a few complaints about it blowing up. I like the specs but the burning up scares me.

FT-1000MP. What can I say? Great radio. I know that much. I never owned a new rig before because I have always been too broke so buying another used radio is no big deal if it performs great.

TS-870S. I saw this on YouTube and the sound seems pretty incredible.

IC-7300. For the WOW factor, this takes the cake short of much more expensive radios. But A) I don't really want to spend over 1k and B) the bad publicity on the IC7100 scares me for not functioning well.

Anyway, I may end up getting something cheap like a Xiegu. Gotta get me something for Xmas.

Thanks in advance.

CW functionality...does it have to be new, and does it have to be in the 100w class?

Omni VI+ or Opt3, Omni VII, Cubic Astro 103 - those rigs have excellent CW performance.

Heathkit HR-1680 + HX-1681 + HP-23C + HS-1661 = a CW-only, full break-in hybrid station. Perfect for SKN.

Let me clear off the Vintage Junque bench and see about a few others...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    CW functionality...does it have to be new, and does it have to be in the 100w class?

Omni VI+ or Opt3, Omni VII, Cubic Astro 103 - those rigs have excellent CW performance.

Heathkit HR-1680 + HX-1681 + HP-23C + HS-1661 = a CW-only, full break-in hybrid station. Perfect for SKN.

Let me clear off the Vintage Junque bench and see about a few others...
    Thanks Fred. The omni vi plus sounds great. I can start my search for them. Tentec supposedly has lower noise oscillator and amps than do the competition. I will look at the others. I don't mind something used. Just looking for something dependable and performs well.

I love my Omni VI, Jerry - though it remains to be seen if Dishop's incarnation of Ten-Tec will service them.

(To me it's a non-issue. I can handle anything in the way of repairs and sourcing parts that might be required, but this might not be true with other owners.)

A Corsair II is another good choice. I have a couple of N4YG's DDS VFO kits that are eventually going to make their way into both of mine. PTO drift isn't a big deal for the CW op but mechanical problems with the tuning mechanism most assuredly will be if you can't get rebuild kits from Ten-Tec.
    Last edited by N8YX; 12-07-2016 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Grammar
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Orca Whisperer
    I'd personally go with the Xiegu. That looks like one neat damned toy there. And, from what I've heard, it's a full SDR in it's guts, and therefore subject to much modding (Can you say Codec2?)
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    I'd personally go with the Xiegu. That looks like one neat damned toy there. And, from what I've heard, it's a full SDR in it's guts, and therefore subject to much modding (Can you say Codec2?)
    I would love a waterproof, remote-able head version of that radio for use on my bicycles.

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    I would love a waterproof, remote-able head version of that radio for use on my bicycles.
    Like the FTR-10? I'm sad they discontinued that.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Yea, if it is CW only, a good 'ol used Ten Tec is amazing.
    My Omni-D's and Corsair "One" are freaky great on CW.

The Yaesu MP's kick ass, especially when modded.

Why buy new? Well, maybe in SDR land.

Or Elecraft.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Like the FTR-10? I'm sad they discontinued that.
    Every year at Dayton saw me haranguing them with the same comments:

Built that rig in a 10M-440MHz version (including 222) and I'll buy 5 right now.

I have four at the moment. Three on current motorcycles, one in reserve for a future dual-sport.

Banned
    I am leaning heavily towards the Xiegu. Sounds pretty interesting. They still have the FT-991's in stock at HRO as well for under $900. I need to see if I can get the dosh appropriated for the expense first. I will probably be flipping a coin or watch more YouTube videos going, "Oh, I want this one. No wait. I want this one."