Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something Doesn't Smell Right... Or Am I Being Too Paranoid?

Something Doesn't Smell Right... Or Am I Being Too Paranoid?

Forgive me if this isn't in the right place...

But do any of you folks out there on the Left Coast know of a ham in Oakland CA named Fred Green K6BJR?

Here's the... let's say concern...

I'm currently looking around for an HF amp that I can afford, 160 - 10, about 500-600 W out (SB-200 class, but with 160). My friend Bill W3WH forwarded to me an ad on QTH.COM for an Ameritron 811H for $550, including shipping, which is in my price range... but almost a little too good to be true. Potential red flag.

So I email the gentleman for more information, and this is the response I get:

"Hi Ron,
    How are you? Thanks for your response to my Add placement. Yes the Amp is still very much available. It is in excellent working condition, 10-160 Meters. It does 600 Watts DC out with 45 Watts drive to it. You can drive it with 100 Watt radio, there are no known issues with this amplifier. I m not interested in any trades.

I bought this amp in 2014 but don't use it enough to justify keeping it. the manual and box included. Kindly get back to me with your shipping info so that i can arrange for shipment and forward you my account info for payment.

73,s

Fred, K6bjr"

The English just doesn't feel right, almost like someone speaking in a different language (red flag). It doesn't really tell me anything. That last sentence about shipping info & account info? Wait a sec, I haven't agreed to buy it yet. (another red flag)

The email address says the name of the sender is "Rex Fredrick" with an email of rex.federick122@gmail.com. (another red flag) That name doesn't match the FCC name on the call. And on further inspection, the ad was posted by "G R Frederick", which DEFINITELY doesn't match the call.

E-mail was sent to me just before 8 AM. Which means that IF it was sent from the coast, this person is at best a very early riser. Seems kind of strange though, doesn't it?

An internet search shows that the call goes back to the early 1960's at least. Which makes me really wonder about who's behind this ad.

And the final kicker... a search on QTH.COm for recent ads from this call shows this:

RADIOVHF - FOR SALE: Ameritron 811-H I have an Ameritron 811-H in a very good physical and working condition.
    Comes in original box with all accessories. I'm the original owner and was purchased 4/2014. Shipped to your address and insured. $550
    Fred. K6bjr
    Listing #1297703 - Submitted on 11/25/16 by Callsign K6BJR, Modified on 11/27/16 - IP: 67.215.230.88.static.quadranet.comClick Here to Email -- Click Here to View Picture -- Send this Ad to a Friend

RADIOVHF - FOR SALE: Alinco DR-610
    I have an Alinco DR-610 for sale. I'm the first owner, It is in excellent working condition - It came with all the accessories which include : Microphone, power cable, manuals etc. I am asking $250 plus shipping. Photos are seen below. Let me know if you are interested.
    Regards,
    Rex k6bjr
    Listing #1297678 - Submitted on 11/25/16 by Callsign K6BJR - IP: 67.215.230.88.static.quadranet.comClick Here to Email -- Click Here to View Picture -- Send this Ad to a Friend

Now why would someone use one first name on one ad, and a different first name on another?

So I think we have a hijacked call here.

Or am I just being paranoid?

Incidentally, just as I started typing this, I asked Bill for his opinion...

...and in case anyone has any doubts about my sanity, which there are plenty of in other circumstances, I believe that if it looks like skunk, walks like a skunk, and smells like a skunk, I'm not going to wait around to get sprayed and find out for certain that it IS a skunk...

...and his reply, which just came through, was "Walk no run away from it. You might also share your concern with KA9FOX." (Which I have done) So I don't think I'm being paranoid. Still, I'm curious as to other's opinions.

And if anyone DOES know K6BJR, he might need to be made aware of this.
    Last edited by W3WN; 11-28-2016 at 12:02 PM.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Orca Whisperer
    Stinks to me.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Conch Master
    I'm confused. There is a Rex and Jane Frederick KB6TBL and KB6TBK.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    I'm confused. There is a Rex and Jane Frederick KB6TBL and KB6TBK.
    Neither of whom are K6BJR.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

If the info on QRDead is to be believed, K6BJR is 97 years old (born 1919). I find it unlikely he has a computer, let alone an email address. The ticket was renewed in 2008 and I suspect he died not too long after that.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong" - Dennis Miller
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

600 watts DC out? rings a bell...i thought my P.A made H.F, stupid of me...
    Looks dodgy, in case of any doubt, let it go.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Over the years, and God knows there have been a shit load of them (just ask Carl), I've really come to trust my first impression/instincts. I have found this to be true with people as well as merchandise. While I can't claim 100% accuracy, and I have missed out on a deal or two, it has kept me out of bad deals on many, many occasions. Also, passing up a questionable deal, has put me in a better position to take advantage of a later deal, usually better priced or better condition, or just made a better all around experience. That said........

If I were in your position, I think I would steer clear of this deal, and continue your quest. After all, time is your friend right now, and I would think that Santa will probably be putting new amps in many a hams stocking, which, as you know, will stretch the shit out of them, and will more than likely bring many new used amps on the chopping block for your perusal.

But then, I could be full of shit, too.
    Last edited by K7SGJ; 11-28-2016 at 11:24 AM.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

I agree with the general consensus—stinks of scam. Drop it like a radioactive potato.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    If the info on QRDead is to be believed, K6BJR is 97 years old (born 1919). I find it unlikely he has a computer, let alone an email address. The ticket was renewed in 2008 and I suspect he died not too long after that.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong" - Dennis Miller
    Thanks Jim.

That's the final straw. I don't access Over Yonder from the work computer, only during lunch hours from my iPad, so I wasn't going to be able to check that until lunch. But that does fit in with the pattern.

Stolen identity from a Silent Key.

BTW, did you know... Dennis Miller graduated from the same High School that Little Miss Field Day did? They are very proud of that factoid. I'm sure that he couldn't care less, though.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman