Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hercules II or Centaur?

Hercules II or Centaur?

Looking for some opinions here... given the choice, which amp would you prefer to have, a Ten Tec Hercules II (420) or a Ten Tec Centaur (411)?

Why these two? Well...

Most of the last year, IT at work has been involved in the building renovation project. About once a month, we spend a day moving one floor from temporary locations to their renovated floor, then the next day we move another floor to that temp location -- and then the floor gets rebuilt. Involves more than a few fun days on your back, in the dust, moving and reconfiguring 30 or so workstations at a time, plus moving network printers, setting up some IP phones, tripping over the demolition/rebuilding crew...

So what's this got to do with the amps?

Well, we all get called into the CFO's office yesterday, and are informed that the owners are so impressed with our hard work, we're each getting a nice bonus in our next paycheck.

Now I am going to surprise the Boss and take her out to dinner, maybe a movie or a play, and get her something a little nice. I'm just not going to tell her how much -- as she'll want to spend it on, well, things that won't go in the shack. I think I've earned a little toy.

So I put the word out that I was looking, with the proviso that I won't have the money until the 30th. I was hoping for a few offers, and I got some. Including the Herc II & the Centaur. The Herc is owned by a friend who lives about a half hour from me. The Centaur is in Ohio, about a 100 miles away.

The Herc is solid state, but I'd have to run 220 V into the shack area. Not impossible, just a minor pain. The Centaur uses 811A's & can use 572B's, which are available but getting harder to find.

(Note this is the Herc II, not the original Hercules 444. Motorola discontinued the 444's final transistors and left Ten Tec in the lurch, back in the day. Pity, it was a good amp otherwise in it's day)

So there's no rush, and I'm still talking with both gentlemen. I'm just curious as to opinions. (They're both in th $500 or so price range)

...and I'm open to other options, in that same price range. Would have been nice to have enough to buy a new amp outright, but not this year... and you think I'm complaining about an extra few hundred to spend? Not hardly; I don't want to sound like an ingrate. Or a gym teacher...
    Last edited by W3WN; 11-17-2016 at 01:28 PM.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I like the Minotaur amp myself, although I've heard the Cyclops is also very good.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Thanks, your holey-ness. That was very helpful. :hittingself:

Seriously, I don't know why Ten Tec, for so long a time, named their rigs and such after characters in Greek and/or Roman mythology. I'll have to remember to ask Scott W4PA about that, one of these days.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

Get a couple of big car batteries and a float charger to run the Hercules II with and you won't have to run the 9420 supply...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Get a couple of big car batteries and a float charger to run the Hercules II with and you won't have to run the 9420 supply...
    If the 9420 wasn't available, that would be a thought.

I mean, the worse that will happen is that I have to run a power line 30 feet or so across the basement. I think I can handle that! I may just need a little help with the connector, and the circuit breaker box -- though I'm sure I could handle it, better to get someone who knows exactly what to do. Why take an unnecessary risk?

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

Well, the decision just got made for me.

The gentleman with the Centaur is having second thoughts, and isn't sure he wants to sell it.

And the gentleman with the Hercules II said he meant 500 watts out, not $500.

So that's the end of that for those two.

Back to square one.
    Last edited by W3WN; 11-17-2016 at 09:32 PM.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

Have a look around for the one tube 3-500 Z(G) amps.
    I love my Heathkit SB-1000 bought is cheap, refurbished it, new relay and parts that needed replacing, new lamps, new tube from RF-Parts 3-500 ZG, runs 1 kW out, but most of the time i have it to 500 or 600 watts out.

Relative cheap in the USA looking at the advertised stuff, more expensive here.
    160 - 10 meters as well, or the equivalent Ameritron amps.( AL 80 )
    Tubes readily available, better as the 572 etc series.

Parts available at Ameritron as well.
    Just my 2 p..
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I have looked. Most people want circa $650 and up for those amps. Plus S&H.

Not only is it approaching the cost of a "new" Ameritron amp (and we won't even discuss the known QA issues since MFJ bought the company), but it's well beyond what I expect to net after taxes. While I can scrape up some more money, well, that's not really the point.

I've seen amps in the SB200 output class go at hamfests for $350 to 500. I'd hoped for something in that range, but no soap.

The best I've come across, the last two days, is a (different) Centaur amp located in NJ, for $675 (including shipping).

At this point, I'm about ready to give up on the amp, just set the money aside for another day, perhaps.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

Maybe the best option, and save up for a decent amp.
    It is a hobby, i don't spend money on it except it is really available and no other expenses are to be expected, and i don't delve into my savings that are just for th rainy day, or for the appliances that give up the ghst like washing machine etc.

I waited 2 years before buying the amp i have now settling for the Heathkit SB-1000 that came from someone i know.
    With the help of a good friend that builds amps for decades we totally overhauled the amp, inserted soft start, new tube etc to bring it up to new, all in all i spend 900 euro's.

Till that time 100 watts carried me through some exotic qso's, now the FT 2000 - D with 200 watts is mostly used and the amp sees use maybe once a month.... yes i know.....It's just something to have and when you have it....
    Good luck finding a good amp suiting your demands though.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Prepper types are driving the prices up again.