Thread: FLDIGI psk31 Yaesu FT-450AT rig control

FLDIGI psk31 Yaesu FT-450AT rig control

I have a Yaesu FT-450AT rig, a SignaLink USB with proper din data cable, and FLDIGI software version 3.23.14. I can send and receive QSOs with psk31 with no problem. What I want to know is there a way I can get the frequency in the FLDIGI software to change automatically when I adjust the frequency on my actual Yaesu rig. At present I have to manually change my frequency in FLDIGI to reflect the frequency on my rig.
    Thank you,

Todd KM4GZH

A quick glance on the web shows a "Data" jack and a separate 9 pin serial port for "CAT" which is rig control.

This is pretty common.

It's likely you will need to connect the CAT serial port to a serial port on your computer OR a USB to serial adapter as well. Just to make sure, send a pic of the back of your radio? The pics on the web definitely show the two connectors. This is a pic of the "non-AT" rig:

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    A quick glance on the web shows a "Data" jack and a separate 9 pin serial port for "CAT" which is rig control.

This is pretty common.

It's likely you will need to connect the CAT serial port to a serial port on your computer OR a USB to serial adapter as well. Just to make sure, send a pic of the back of your radio? The pics on the web definitely show the two connectors. This is a pic of the "non-AT" rig:
    In addition to his excellent information- be careful there are a number of USB serial adapters with fake chipset controllers from Prolific. The USB serial adapters at Office Depot are the real McCoy... so that's a safe buy.

I've gotten adapters with the counterfeit chipset- they do not work worth a damn.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    In addition to his excellent information- be careful there are a number of USB serial adapters with fake chipset controllers from Prolific. The USB serial adapters at Office Depot are the real McCoy... so that's a safe buy.

I've gotten adapters with the counterfeit chipset- they do not work worth a damn.
    Good info. I've had the same problem.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Yea... good point.
    Fake Prolifics are a PITA.
    I recommend Keyspan adapters.
    Pricey, but man, they always work.

Kinda "beefy" too.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-US.../dp/B0000VYJRY

This is pretty common.

Mine has both ports. I bought a Tripp lite adaptor too.

Yea... good point.
    Fake Prolifics are a PITA.
    I recommend Keyspan adapters.
    Pricey, but man, they always work.

Kinda "beefy" too.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-US.../dp/B0000VYJRY

I bought this adaptor you suggested. My Mac sees it fine, but flrig no matter the port setting will not allow me to control my yaesu FT-450AT.

Well, others have made it work. In your original post there is no mention of using the Mac, so that does change thing a little, but it doesn't mean you won't get it working... others certainly have. AFAIK, most of us here use Windows and/or Linux. Just a mild suggestion (and a reminder to myself) the PC in use information is critical.

Do not despair, you got an excellent USB to serial adapter, and that is a big deal.

I'm a winders guy for ham radio stuff, mostly because I use a Flex 3000.

FLRIG is good to have (and many times necessary) as it will diagnose what's going on. You will need to have the XML-RPC part configured correctly, but again, others have done this. Now, I'm a little in the dark, as I don't run a MAC, but computers are just computers.

From other places on the web, a quick search shows this:

Download page for XML-RPC :
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/xmls/

From other forums, there is a bit of background noise as it is for a Kenwood on OSX, but pertinent info here:
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/...g_on_OSX_.html

Lastly, the nitty gritty to talk to the Keyspan port at a "low level". You may not have to do this.

But even if the computer "sees" the port, it may not be configured to "talk":
    http://kb.unavco.org/kb/article/how-...cable-505.html

A call to other Islanders, who's running this on a MAC? Anybody? Buehler? ;)