Thread: Need some advice on netbook parts.

Tribal Warrior

Need some advice on netbook parts.

I have an Asus Eee PC 1000HD Netbook. The hard drive appears to have finally died. It will not reformat when trying to reinstall Windows XP. My question is this. Can I put this hard drive on the Netbook?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...55&ignorebbr=1

These are the specs for the netbook.

http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-ee...-series/specs/

This is the HDD that is installed

Seagate Momentus 5400.4 120GB 5400RPM SATA 3Gbps 8MB Cache 2.5-inch Internal Hard Drive Mfr P/N 9DG132-285

Or does anyone have any alternative HDD that I could replace it with? Maybe an SSD of some kind.

I have not done anything with laptops of any kind. All my computers are desktops I have built. This is the only portable computer I have ever owned, so I have no experience with replacing parts.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Greg
    The fall of this country will not be at the hands of a foreign enemy, but at the hands of the ignorant and uneducated of this country.

It is a netbook after all, Asus at that. Not trying to be a pain, but ask yourself if it's worth it? Might be better to replace itcwith a windows tablet.
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

Tribal Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by K4PIH View Post
    It is a netbook after all, Asus at that. Not trying to be a pain, but ask yourself if it's worth it? Might be better to replace itcwith a windows tablet.
    I thought of that, but if I can throw a thirty five dollar hard drive in it and it works. I'm OK with that. It sits in the living room and I use it for looking up stupid stuff and it holds my movie collection database on it.
    The fall of this country will not be at the hands of a foreign enemy, but at the hands of the ignorant and uneducated of this country.

Quote Originally Posted by K4PIH View Post
    I have tried and tried to like using a tablet as a primary and I just can't do it. All said and done my tablet has ended up being a quinary device. Desktop, laptop, chrome book, phone and then tablet. In fact the tablet is redundant since I have upgraded to a smart phone. The chrome book was a replacement for my netbook and I like it for use in the living room to play on the net while my wife is watching something that does not tickle my fancy.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

I poked around a little, and could find no reason why the 320 GB Seagate HDD wouldn't work. Worst case scenario is that the BIOS may have heartburn with a partition that large, a problem easily solved by splitting the HDD into two "drives" (partitions).

I have an old Acer Aspire 5000 that I opted to put a SSD in. It made an amazing difference! I'd look around and seriously consider a SSD, although I'm not sure XP has support to fully take advantage of the SSD's capabilities. Even if it doesn't, the SSD will be much faster than a mechanical drive.

But, $45 for 320 GB? Yeah, it's worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by K2GSP View Post
    I have an Asus Eee PC 1000HD Netbook. The hard drive appears to have finally died. It will not reformat when trying to reinstall Windows XP. My question is this. Can I put this hard drive on the Netbook?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...55&ignorebbr=1

These are the specs for the netbook.

http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-ee...-series/specs/

This is the HDD that is installed

Seagate Momentus 5400.4 120GB 5400RPM SATA 3Gbps 8MB Cache 2.5-inch Internal Hard Drive Mfr P/N 9DG132-285

Or does anyone have any alternative HDD that I could replace it with? Maybe an SSD of some kind.

I have not done anything with laptops of any kind. All my computers are desktops I have built. This is the only portable computer I have ever owned, so I have no experience with replacing parts.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Greg
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg View Post
    I poked around a little, and could find no reason why the 320 GB Seagate HDD wouldn't work. Worst case scenario is that the BIOS may have heartburn with a partition that large, a problem easily solved by splitting the HDD into two "drives" (partitions).

I have an old Acer Aspire 5000 that I opted to put a SSD in. It made an amazing difference! I'd look around and seriously consider a SSD, although I'm not sure XP has support to fully take advantage of the SSD's capabilities. Even if it doesn't, the SSD will be much faster than a mechanical drive.

Interesting Luke.......I have an Acer Aspire One netbook that's 5 years old that now has problems with the ribbon cable to screen and has a cooling fan that has failed....I am contemplating removing the HDD from this machine and installing it in another netbook or laptop keeping my Windows 7 OS I have and in general transferring everything to a more functional machine.I like the netbook size and capabilities,and I can get my hands on another good used machine,so I'll go for it........
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt! :roll:

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!

Tribal Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg View Post

Thanks for looking for me.

I have a 1015pc and had it apart to put a ss drive in it. As I recall, the pc won't accept a 12.9 mm and it needs a 9.5 mm in order to get everything back together. There is a video online on youtube I think, that shows all the steps making the swap. I believe the last step has something to do with a Dempsey Dumpster.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

LOL
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by NA4BH View Post
    LOL
    Looks like Joe is about to make a run. Are you tuned in and turned on?
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL