Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Omni VI+

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    If a Paragon, I would agree with the sale. A Paragon-II? If I had to sell most of what I own, my two P-IIs, the Herc-II amps and the 253s are what I would keep. Heck, all the vintage Ten-Tec gear I have for that matter. Of course, it would be very hard to let all of the Drake 7-line stuff go, as it would certain Kenwood and Cubic gear. A lot of the stuff I've bought over the years is "tinker material". That is: Get it fixed (or modified), use the equipment until someone makes me an offer I can't refuse then send it home with them. The P-IIs, Omnis, Corsairs, TR7s/R7s and others have earned their spots in the lineup. I wish I had enough space to put them all out at once...as it is, I rotate the stuff in and out.
    I've always admired your skill set sir. It is a good thing you don't do it on a large scale as you'd have to deal with the gym teacher types who want their money back.

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    If a Paragon, I would agree with the sale. A Paragon-II? If I had to sell most of what I own, my two P-IIs, the Herc-II amps and the 253s are what I would keep. Heck, all the vintage Ten-Tec gear I have for that matter. Of course, it would be very hard to let all of the Drake 7-line stuff go, as it would certain Kenwood and Cubic gear. A lot of the stuff I've bought over the years is "tinker material". That is: Get it fixed (or modified), use the equipment until someone makes me an offer I can't refuse then send it home with them. The P-IIs, Omnis, Corsairs, TR7s/R7s and others have earned their spots in the lineup. I wish I had enough space to put them all out at once...as it is, I rotate the stuff in and out.
    Bill tried to interest me in the Paragon, after my O6 lost it's PLL mind. It's not a bad radio, not at all, considering when it was in Production.

But for me, after using the VI+ for all these years... in some ways it was a step backwards.

The rig is in very good shape. Someone who is a collector or who is comfortable with a Paragon will like the rig, and the price is good. It's just not a good fit for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    I've always admired your skill set sir. It is a good thing you don't do it on a large scale as you'd have to deal with the gym teacher types who want their money back.
    And sadly, we have so many of these out there. Much as we pick on the man from the cod cape, which he does bring on himself (but that's another story), he is far from the only one -- or even the worst one -- out there.
    Last edited by W3WN; 11-01-2016 at 01:29 PM.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Update on my original VI+ (NOT the one that started this thread...)

It's fixed!

Turned out that it had some major problems on the PLL board. Gary WØDVN (aka DukesHiFi) has been working on it the last month -- most of the reason it took so long was getting that new PLL chip (see post above) took longer than expected, then he found a few other 'minor' problems (a few components that went bad... now did they take out the chip, or did the chip fault take them out? We shall never know). The final issue was getting everything aligned properly. Gary detailed this in a couple of posts to the reflector, which are now on the home computer so I will excerpt from them sometime tonight.

Now I just have to wait for the rig to make it's way home. Fortunately, Little Miss Field Day will be home from school all next week, so I won't have to worry about a box being left at the door, or waiting on a signature, or anything like that.

Meanwhile... Gary had also agreed with Bill W3WH to look at HIS Omni VI+ -- the very one that this thread was started over -- after mine came home. (Have to do it this way, since I borrowed the shipping box & packing material from Bill's Paragon.) So sometime in the next day or three, I'll go over that rig and see what else I can spot.

Oh, speaking of that Paragon... Bill sold it at the WACOM hamfest for a good bit more than he paid for it. I hope it went to a good home, it was a nice rig, just not for me.

So, things are looking up... famous last words...
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 2K!!

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Update on my original VI+ (NOT the one that started this thread...)

It's fixed!

Turned out that it had some major problems on the PLL board. Gary WØDVN (aka DukesHiFi) has been working on it the last month -- most of the reason it took so long was getting that new PLL chip (see post above) took longer than expected, then he found a few other 'minor' problems (a few components that went bad... now did they take out the chip, or did the chip fault take them out? We shall never know). The final issue was getting everything aligned properly. Gary detailed this in a couple of posts to the reflector, which are now on the home computer so I will excerpt from them sometime tonight.

Now I just have to wait for the rig to make it's way home. Fortunately, Little Miss Field Day will be home from school all next week, so I won't have to worry about a box being left at the door, or waiting on a signature, or anything like that.

Meanwhile... Gary had also agreed with Bill W3WH to look at HIS Omni VI+ -- the very one that this thread was started over -- after mine came home. (Have to do it this way, since I borrowed the shipping box & packing material from Bill's Paragon.) So sometime in the next day or three, I'll go over that rig and see what else I can spot.

Oh, speaking of that Paragon... Bill sold it at the WACOM hamfest for a good bit more than he paid for it. I hope it went to a good home, it was a nice rig, just not for me.

So, things are looking up... famous last words...

Custer said the same thing.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Custer said the same thing.
    But I've got a better looking mustache than he did.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 2K!!

But I've got a better looking mustache than he did.
    True. Plus, yours is still attached to your lip.

The Omni VI+ returned home at about 4:30 this afternoon.

It was back in the shack, hooked up, and on the air before 5.

Good thing I took a few days off work, I need to spend about an hour on shack rearranging. The Omni VII is moving out of the main operating position, and back in place for setup as a remote-controlled rig. Which reminds me, my license for N4PY is up for renewal next month.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 2K!!

Good thing I took a few days off work, I need to spend about an hour on shack rearranging. The Omni VII is moving out of the main operating position, and back in place for setup as a remote-controlled rig. Which reminds me, my license for N4PY is up for renewal next month.
    Don't forget to renew your HRD subscription, as well.

Orca Whisperer

Nice!
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com