Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: hara not signing leases...

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Yeah, just got the word.

Here's one link: http://wdtn.com/2016/07/29/hara-arena-to-shut-down/
    Here's another: http://www.arrl.org/news/good-bye-ha...locate-in-2017

My friend in DARA filled me in last May on some of the legal squabbles. It's all summed up very nicely in the 4th paragraph, referring to the press release from the family. I guess the details no longer matter.

Looks like they'll be exercising their contingency plan now.

And everyone who griped about HARA & wanted it demolished just got their wish. Hope they're ready for what comes next.

My gut hunch is that while Hamvention may continue, it will take years -- if ever -- for DARA to recover from a change of venue. Not that they have much of a choice.
    tell your DARA friend Indianapolis is right down the road. it would be welcomed here
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W2IBC View Post
    tell your DARA friend Indianapolis is right down the road. it would be welcomed here
    Now is the time for some enterprising ham club to step up to the plate and create the new worlds largest hamvention. I doubt DARA would want to stray far from the Dayton area.

And everyone who griped about HARA & wanted it demolished just got their wish. Hope they're ready for what comes next.
    well, next year will certainly be a challenge even if everything goes smoothly (because it won't be what's happened for the past N decades and people will bitch). it will be excruciatingly clear to DARA that you can't make everyone happy. depending on what the new sitch looks like i'd kinda like to go ...
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Quote Originally Posted by X-Rated View Post
    Now is the time for some enterprising ham club to step up to the plate and create the new worlds largest hamvention. I doubt DARA would want to stray far from the Dayton area.
    Yup.

DARA draws on a lot of volunteers and members, most of whom (the members, that is, not necessarily the volunteers) come from the Dayton/Miami Valley area or immediate vicinity. So to relocate Hamvention too far away from Dayton proper means that you start losing your helpers.

I don't think most of those who've been kvetching about the location and demanding a move to Orlando, Vegas, or other points more than an hour or so from Dayton proper realize this. (Or care, for that matter, most of them still won't go anyway)

That being said, I've heard for years how Las Vegas would be the PERFECT place to hold a new 'Hamvention-type' event. You'd think if that was the case, someone would have done the legwork by now. No one has. So what does that tell you?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I guess now that makes Shelby Number 1.

Yup.

DARA draws on a lot of volunteers and members, most of whom (the members, that is, not necessarily the volunteers) come from the Dayton/Miami Valley area or immediate vicinity. So to relocate Hamvention too far away from Dayton proper means that you start losing your helpers.

I don't think most of those who've been kvetching about the location and demanding a move to Orlando, Vegas, or other points more than an hour or so from Dayton proper realize this. (Or care, for that matter, most of them still won't go anyway)

That being said, I've heard for years how Las Vegas would be the PERFECT place to hold a new 'Hamvention-type' event. You'd think if that was the case, someone would have done the legwork by now. No one has. So what does that tell you?
    Vegas... hate it. One place I hope to never visit. <shiver>
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Yup.

in all honesty, Indianapolis would be a better pick, it is only a hour and a half away from Dayton. but Indianapolis has experience in dealing with large events.
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Conch Master
    I really do think they are trying to keep it around Dayton. The Nutter Center at Wright State University might be a possibility if it's not too expensive.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

The NUTTER Center? Uh oh........
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Conch Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    The NUTTER Center? Uh oh........
    I'm always there to pitch the "straight" lines.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?