Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win X: 1 Down, 3 To Go

Win X: 1 Down, 3 To Go

We presently have four active or semi-active Dell Optiplex 760 computers in the house running Windows 7 Pro 32 bit at the moment. (Plus a Dell Optiplex 625 that was Win 7 Home, now on Win X;Little Miss Field Day's new Win X laptop; her deceased Win 8 laptop; and a handful of laptops that are too old to upgrade -- two Win XP, one W2K. Those are future Linux candidates, but I digress)

So I bit the bullet last night, and scheduled the shack computer for the Win X update. Kinda running out of time, since, officially, the 'free' update to Win X from Win 7/8 ends on the 29th.

I was a little concerned, since the shack computer has some old routines I wrote, years ago, to manage my log and my QSL cards. How old? It was written in ... wait for it ... dBase IV 1.1. For DOS. OK, so I'm a procrastinator. In any event, they don't run on Visual dBase 5.7 or anything newer. The core programming is OK, it's just that the screen windows are using the old, now obsolete, @ say/get nomenclature, and I never got around to rewriting them as proper, ah, Windows windows.

To say nothing of the fact that dBase IV 1.1 for DOS is a 16 bit app. And I know from work that 16 bit apps don't run under Windows 8.1 -- 64 bit, though.

But, I figured, time to bite the bullet. I'd worry about rewriting the routines later, after all, I can still access the database tables through dBase 5.7 or 8.

So I set the upgrade to process at 1 AM. Checked the machine when I got up this morning, and outside of some very minor issues (NIC wasn't responding, but a reboot fixed that -- router issue, not a PC issue), everything else worked. I do have to do some tweaking to VE7CC's cluster app to get it to start automatically on boot again, but that's, again, a minor thing. Oh, and the M$ free games are gone, which I expected, but I already have the ZIP file to restore them all, so that's no big deal. I do have to check N1MM+, but either it will work, or I upload a new copy. No sweat either way.

Just for the heck of it, I tried to open dBase IV. Much to my shock and amazement... it opened! Win X did have to upload an NTVM (or was it NTVDM?) driver first, but it opened! No muss, no fuss. And yes, my little routines still work, too! [ I still have to rewrite them into the newer code, but now I can continue to procrastinate ]

Well, what do you know? Micro$oft actually did something right for a change? Who Gnu? (He'll let you know when he gets off First)

Shack machine will be finished tonight. The Boss's is next, that should be easy. Then either my "work/main" machine, or LMFD's old desktop (which is going to end up in the shack anyway). Should have it all done by the weekend.

M$ did something right. I'm not sure I can handle this.

Last edited by W3WN; 07-20-2016 at 10:05 AM.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    M$ did something write. I'm not sure I can handle this.
    We'll see how you feel about that once M$ decides to implement the per-month subscription fee (that they are currently in process of implementing for enterprises) for consumers.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30947...nterprise.html
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

No problem. They pull that crap, the machines all revert to Windows 7 or get switched to Ubuntu.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

I have gone to the subscription model for Office 365 already. And, it's OK.

It will take a few years for the $$$ to accumulate, and by that time the co$t would have been more the old way.

$7 per seat quoted for enterprise is pretty cheap, compared to the (current) site license stuff.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Well, 2 more went down, so to speak, last night. The Boss's machine and my 'main' one. No issues.

Now, LMFD's old desktop, that was a different story. Keeping in mind that it's been turned off since last October, and is on a wireless link, it may just have a lot of updates to churn through first. It will be the weekend project, and if it fails, no big deal.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

Well, I spoke too soon.

The Boss's machine went through without a hitch. I let mine go overnight, didn't have a chance to do anything with it first thing this morning.

Came home after a trying afternoon (another story for another thread) to find... A near empty desktop. WTF? Where's my icons? Where's my email? OK, found Outlook, started it... Setting it up for the first time? WTF? Yes, I was agitated. Not only a bad afternoon, but I had MAYBE a half hour to get ready for the VE session I'm running, and I need to get something from an email...

Turned out OK. One of the reboot cycles got hung up. I went to reboot, the cycle kicked back in, and after about 10 minutes of "Hi! Let us show you all the new features that you're just going to LOVE" the upgrade completed, my desktop was back, and I got what I needed out of my email.

Then spent another half hour after getting home reinstalling the games, and cleaning up the Start Menu. Sports, News, People, Photos, Xbox, Twitter, Skype... Who needs all this dreck? Very irritating that Micor$oft is pushing all this crap on us, and we have to jump through hoops to get rid of it. Especially on a Business Pro edition. Who wants this crap on a BUSINESS machine?

But that's the price of a "free" upgrade.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

"People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Witch Doctor
    thanks for that
    Sarcasm is a Body's Natural Defense Against Stupid

Downloaded it. As expected, I was pretty tight already.

Great software! Thanks Jim.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Thanks for the link Jim. Now implemented on all machines.

All 4 -- I got the SFF OptiPlex tonight. It had a few Win 7 updates to run through, and while it was doing that, it uploaded the Win X install files in the background. Not sure if one or the other or both were the issues. Regardless, it went through relatively pain free. And so the deed is done.

Well, almost. I remember on the test machine, I found and ran a Powershell script that removed a lot of the excess dreck. I need to find where I stashed that and run it. Then I'm done.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!