Thread: Facepalm Moments

Facepalm Moments

The only question is, is this a one facepalm moment, or a double?
    --
    So we have a procedure in place to create electronic documents (PDF) out of our agency management system, essentially a version of what most people think of as a mail merge (ie, canned standard document format that data is filled into depending on the client, the insurance app, and so forth)

I get a call to help one of our Commercial Lines users with a scanning issue. I notice that the document he's trying to scan is a printed version of one of these 'canned' documents, only on company letterhead and signed.

So I ask him... why?

You see, we created several years ago, for some of these document sets, a version that includes as header & footer the layout of the letterhead. The idea being that we can create a PDF on the fly that looks EXACTLY like the printed-to-letterhead-paper version, for electronic delivery. Including the signature of the appropriate person. I put a lot, and I do mean a LOT, of hours creating all of these, years ago, and still put in several hours each month on updates, revisions, new versions, and so forth. Saves time, and saves paper... we figured anywhere from one to three reams of letterhead each day, and that adds up over time.

So why is he going to the trouble of printing, signing, and then scanning the document, when it's 'duplicate' can create the EXACT same thing? (I should add that this is someone in his late 20's, not a curmudgeon the age of a gym teacher who's grumpy and set in his ways)

"Oh. I guess I could. But I need the exercise."

So:

One?
    1 Facepalm Leia.jpg

Or Two?
    2 Facepalms TNG picture only.jpg
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Three. The third on your customer, with a ball pein hammer (OK, just a little hammer) as backup.

What a doofus! I'm glad he's not my customer. He is a customer, right?

And here I was lamenting not getting into IT all those years ago

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Attached Images Attached Images
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by AF7XM View Post
    Three. The third on your customer, with a ball pein hammer (OK, just a little hammer) as backup.

What a doofus! I'm glad he's not my customer. He is a customer, right?

And here I was lamenting not getting into IT all those years ago
    I'm in-house IT support. So in a manner of speaking, he's my "customer", but no, he's a co-worker.

I once started getting direct phone calls from someone at one of our customers, asking for IT support. She'd been given my name & phone number one time to handle a particular issue with getting someone's Auto ID card processed... so she called me for all sorts of things. Most of which related to her work computer and printer and such, none of which I have any access to. Boy, did she put up a squawk when I kept telling her that I couldn't help her, she had to talk to her own IT people. I finally had to say something to my boss, as it was getting out of hand... they want us to give "heroic service" but this was getting ridiculous. It finally took a call from him to this woman's boss to point out that yes, I am IT support, but only for internal IT.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

He's a coworker?

You are authorized to use the 16oz ball pein

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

What you need is an IT Conquered The World monster for your desk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by AF7XM View Post
    He's a coworker?

You are authorized to use the 16oz ball pein
    No, No!!! The 48 oz. ball peen!!!
    Encrypt everything. Even if you have nothing to hide. It increases the noise floor.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by W7XF View Post
    No, No!!! The 48 oz. ball peen!!!
    My BFH in the Jeep is a 48oz engineer's sledge. It's effective...
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry