Thread: ICOM Enters Consent Decree With FCC

ICOM Enters Consent Decree With FCC

ICOM America Enters Consent Decree with FCC & Agrees to Pay $20,000 in Civil Penalties for violating Sections 80.225(a)(4) and 80.1101(c)(2)(ii) of the Commission's rules, to resolve an investigation into whether or not ICOM imported and sold marine radios that did not include "all the public safety features required by the Commission's rules"

The full decree, DA-16-597A1.docx, can be downloaded from the FCC web site at https://www.fcc.gov/document/icom-am...consent-decree

(Not that a $20,000 civil penalty is more than a drop in the bucket and part of the cost of doing business to ICOM, mind you)
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

It's a drop in the FCC fund bucket too AND the investigation was not resolved either. So what's the point of a nothing paid, nothing received, nothing resolved Consent Decree anyway?
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    It's a drop in the FCC fund bucket too AND the investigation was not resolved either. So what's the point of a nothing paid, nothing received, nothing resolved Consent Decree anyway?
    ICOM pays a token fine, gets a token slap on the wrist, the FCC can proclaim a victory (that really isn't one), and we all move on, happy as pigs in s... happy as clams.

Funny that nothing about this has been mentioned on the ARRL page. (not)
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 2K!!

Why would it? It's not a ham radio issue.

FWIW, Icom makes way more money selling marine radios than it does from selling amateur radio equipment. Look at the bridge of any modern commercial vessel and you'll see mostly Icom gear. In fact, prior experience with Icom marine radios is why I went with them when I got into ham radio. It was a name I knew. Never heard of this "Yaesu" thing, but I sure had heard of Icom.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 06-27-2016 at 11:10 AM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post

FWIW, Icom makes way more money selling marine radios than it does from selling amateur radio equipment. Look at the bridge of any modern commercial vessel and you'll see mostly Icom gear. In fact, prior experience with Icom marine radios is why I went with them when I got into ham radio. It was a name I knew. Never heard of this "Yaesu" thing, but I sure had heard of Icom.
    No, but ICOM is a major presence in Amateur Radio.

I just recall past news stories about Amateur radio related manufacturers or suppliers, even if Amateur Radio wasn't their major line of business... or even if they were still in the AR business (Zenith and Motorola come to mind for those... Collins too).

Obviously the folks in Newington who handle the news feed for the web page don't think this is important. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 2K!!

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post

Is Icom really more popular than Vertex in marine applications? I tended to see Vertex radios in marine applications, although my experience is minimal. I had thought Vertex was huge, rivaling Icom?
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Is Icom really more popular than Vertex in marine applications? I tended to see Vertex radios in marine applications, although my experience is minimal. I had thought Vertex was huge, rivaling Icom?
    Nope, not at the commercial level. Big ships have either Icom or JRC radios. Vertex is a bit player.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Conch Master
    The only two big ships I have ever been on had National and Collins. That would be the USS North Carolina and a 1954 C4 Freighter. The C4 was the USNS Observation Island. We had a real radio room and a radio operator called Sparks. Yes he was older then the Collins :). What about Sperry and Raymarine?
    Last edited by KK4AMI; 06-28-2016 at 11:33 AM.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

The real beauty of those ultra high end HF marine radios is they have everything imaginable plus full output and RX sensitivity from DC to light. If you have enough money to afford an antenna farm like a VOA station you wouldn't be caught dead without one for each band and a hefty amp for each one.

"Someone said I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."
    John Lennon
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.