Thread: Cutting SIM Cards

Cutting SIM Cards

The wife fancied a new cellphone, fair enough, she's had the old one for years. Unsurprisingly all the new ones have at least a microSIM card, if not a nanoSIM, and Vodafone will replace cards for free if you have a contract but we do not so they are not keen. (We both use Vodafone because it allows calls in most of Europe and New Zealand with no messing).
    I looked at trimming her standard card to fit and the internet gives loads of pictures, some are suitably vague and some completely misleading which would lead to destruction of the SIM card but this is the best and most sensible:

MicroSIM_cut.jpg

didn't the new phone come with an appropriately-sized SIM?
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    didn't the new phone come with an appropriately-sized SIM?
    No, we buy SIM free, this leaves the user to choose the phone provider(s).

ah. my phone is SIM-free but since i bought it from the goog it came with a project fi sim.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Quote Originally Posted by HUGH View Post
    The wife fancied a new cellphone, fair enough, she's had the old one for years. Unsurprisingly all the new ones have at least a microSIM card, if not a nanoSIM, and Vodafone will replace cards for free if you have a contract but we do not so they are not keen. (We both use Vodafone because it allows calls in most of Europe and New Zealand with no messing).
    I looked at trimming her standard card to fit and the internet gives loads of pictures, some are suitably vague and some completely misleading which would lead to destruction of the SIM card but this is the best and most sensible:

MicroSIM_cut.jpg
    I took my old phone in to an "Authorized Dealer" to have my service provider fix me up with the 'Nano-sized' SIM card for my new phone, I expected them to reprogram a "New" SIM card for my new phone.......WRONG!

The fellow takes my old SIM card, places it into something looking like a hole punch and, "crunch," out comes my nano-sized SIM card which, he slapped into my phone and, asked me for $15.00. He provided me with two "holders", one was Micro-SIM sized, the other full sized so that I could slap the SIM card into any sized SIM slot.

I bought a micro to nano SIM card cutter on Amazon for less than ten dollars.
    It looks like a stapler and worked like a champ. It came with the adapters to go back the other way.

Insert micro-SIM, push down on the cutter, out pops a nano-SIM that worked perfectly in my daughter's iPhone 5

ah. my phone is SIM-free but since i bought it from the goog it came with a project fi sim.
    Nexus 6P?

Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post
    Nexus 6P?
    yup!

yup!
    I passed on the Project Fi for now.

I have the Nexus 6 with the p-poor 2 MP front facing camera, I got it used from my associate who went back to the updated Nexus 5.

It has Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow installed and, I have #Superuser (root) access but, now they are pushing an OTA update but, my phone receives an install error when it tries to do the update; I cycle the phone power and I'm good to go until the next time it tries (every 3 days).

Master Navigator
    I'm just entering the world of SIMs now. The girl child dropped her iPhone 4 and obliterated the screen, and decided she wanted a newer phone, so I ended up getting her a iPhone SE, which is allegedly a 6 in a 5 body, for much less money. She didn't really want the big 6, anyway, so this looked like a deal.

I ordered a SIM to put her on TINGs GSM provider, since she's had issues with SPrint, so I thought we'd try the GSM (TMobile I guess) to see if that worked better for her.

The SIM came in a credit-card sized plastic card with two different sized adapters. I assume the idea is to pop the SIM out of the plastic card with the proper adapter for her phone. We will see how this works. The numbers we need are printed on the SIM card in type too small for me to read, so I hope she can.