Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Look what arrived today! (Right section this time)

Well, I got a call at 7am to come to the post office and pick up the ducklings, which was a surprise as my post office does not open until 9am. I got them all home and everyone was alive. which is in a big part due to Metzer shipping them with a large cup of grow gel. I have used other hatcheries in the past and they normally give a table spoon of grow gel but metzer gave them about 4-5 table spoons. Good on them for that.

Now, all but one are running around eating and drinking. I have one Khaki campbell male that is a little lethargic, but only a little so I hope he snaps out of it. Much better than I was expecting as normally an extra day in transit does not work in favor of shipped livestock.

Now I know that sexing poultry and fowl is only about 90% but I have had good luck getting what I order. What I like about this shipment is that they have little rubber leg bands that will stretch and finally fall off when as they grow. Other hatcheries use paper tags that fall off before you get your stock. Well, in defense of another, Cackle, they use a non toxic marking paint on the males head which worked well. Another hatchery I was happy with.

Anyway, I hope mom is happy Sunday when she gets her birthday gift, she said she wanted ducks so I ordered her an assortment of trios. Khaki Campbells, Buff Orpingtons, Cayugas, and Blue Swedish (blue does not breed true, it looks like I got two blues and a black). Now dad and I will have to upgrade the duck mansion. We will be converting a second 20x40 greenhouse into a barn/covered run. 10x20 enclosed and 30x20 with top covered and sides wired. We have done this before with the other and will take us two weekends worth of work.

I will post some photos later.
    13902760_1304168612940786_5964162790995819407_n.jpg

Yep, I lost one. :(
    Last edited by KB3LAZ; 08-04-2016 at 09:13 AM.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"