Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 6 meters

Worked VP9NO In Bermuda last week on the backyard station. It's a new grid and country on 6 for me. The opening lasted about 15 minutes.

I'm a little closer to getting my mobile HF/VHF/UHF station together. Snagged a used Kenwood DNX9980HD GPS/Nav/stereo unit (discontinued) last night. It's going to replace my Legacy's AM/FM radio and has auxiliary video inputs, one of which will be used with the IC-7000 for display functions so I don't have to squint at its control head while driving.

The cool thing about this one, George, is that it can be interfaced to the car's OBD-II port and used as the missing set of gauges...oil pressure, charging voltage, oil/trans temp - you name it. Later model Kenwood Nav units omitted the feature.

All radios, a charge controller and big gel cell, control circuitry, etc. will go on an aluminum plate which will fit in the forward portion of the trunk - and will be removable.

Receiver-style hitch and various antenna mounts will handle the HF (screwdriver) and VHF/UHF horizontally polarized (loop) stuff, while a pair of NMO connectors mounted through the trunk lid will do it for the couple of multiband VHF/UHF and HF/VHF vertical mobile whips I'm planning to use.

That hitch will also come in handy for a carrier for a bicycle when I'm not playing radios.

I wanted to use an independent power source for the gear, which would work without draining the car's battery. Summit Racing has just what I need in the form of the sealed gel cell I mentioned earlier. I should be able to get several hours of constant operation at high power with the setup before needing to run the car to charge it.

As it stands, IC-7000 + Kenwood TM-701/TM-331/TM-531/RC-20/IF-20 + CPI CP-2500 (with my own custom control head) + BC-996XT/RH-96/GPS interface. That's a lot of control heads...designing the mounting fixture to look presentable (yet remain functional) is going to be a bit challenging. But the payoff will be concurrent all-mode, all-band operation plus zone-based trunked PS reception. Should make for a fun rover too.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    I'm a little closer to getting my mobile HF/VHF/UHF station together. Snagged a used Kenwood DNX9980HD GPS/Nav/stereo unit (discontinued) last night. It's going to replace my Legacy's AM/FM radio and has auxiliary video inputs, one of which will be used with the IC-7000 for display functions so I don't have to squint at its control head while driving.

The cool thing about this one, George, is that it can be interfaced to the car's OBD-II port and used as the missing set of gauges...oil pressure, charging voltage, oil/trans temp - you name it. Later model Kenwood Nav units omitted the feature.

All radios, a charge controller and big gel cell, control circuitry, etc. will go on an aluminum plate which will fit in the forward portion of the trunk - and will be removable.

Receiver-style hitch and various antenna mounts will handle the HF (screwdriver) and VHF/UHF horizontally polarized (loop) stuff, while a pair of NMO connectors mounted through the trunk lid will do it for the couple of multiband VHF/UHF and HF/VHF vertical mobile whips I'm planning to use.

That hitch will also come in handy for a carrier for a bicycle when I'm not playing radios.

I wanted to use an independent power source for the gear, which would work without draining the car's battery. Summit Racing has just what I need in the form of the sealed gel cell I mentioned earlier. I should be able to get several hours of constant operation at high power with the setup before needing to run the car to charge it.

As it stands, IC-7000 + Kenwood TM-701/TM-331/TM-531/RC-20/IF-20 + CPI CP-2500 (with my own custom control head) + BC-996XT/RH-96/GPS interface. That's a lot of control heads...designing the mounting fixture to look presentable (yet remain functional) is going to be a bit challenging. But the payoff will be concurrent all-mode, all-band operation plus zone-based trunked PS reception. Should make for a fun rover too.
    Sounds very cool, and a lot of work. Looking forward to seeing some photos. Are you planning to do some contesting from the mobile?
    BTW, A 6 meter friend told me that during the Sprint contest , there was some excellent short hop E into Ohio. This past week I didn't hear much of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by w2amr View Post
    Sounds very cool, and a lot of work. Looking forward to seeing some photos. Are you planning to do some contesting from the mobile?
    BTW, A 6 meter friend told me that during the Sprint contest , there was some excellent short hop E into Ohio. This past week I didn't hear much of anything.
    Yep - exactly what I'm going to do (mobile)! Either while on the road while traveling, or on the road to activate a sparsely populated grid square. (If I get an FT-817ND I may even do this via bicycle at times.)

I caught the E opening on 11 through 6...but...no joy on VHF, as I have to get some horizontally polarized antennas up in the air. The tri-band vertical I have (resonant around 53MHz, for repeater work) didn't cut it.
    Last edited by N8YX; 08-24-2016 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Grammar
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Worked CY9C on 6m CW a little while ago. They came up just enough for the computer to decode them. ;)
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Worked CY9C on 6m CW a little while ago. They came up just enough for the computer to decode them. ;)
    Nice catch!

Upper HF is dead here at the moment. Will check things out in a bit after the morning meetings are finished.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Cool. I worked them on sideband a couple of hours ago on 50.130. Big signal. 5-9 both ways. FN-97 is a rare one. http://www.stpaulisland.net/