Thread: Baofeng as a Marine VHF?

Baofeng as a Marine VHF?

I know that my Baofeng HT can receive Marine VHF traffic because I've listened to the ships before, but is it open enough for me to transmit? I'm assuming that all the marine channels are simplex right?

I'm pretty sure the Baofeng will transmit on the marine frequencies but how efficient it would be I couldn't say. Also, there's the matter of type acceptance. Not that the FCC puts much effort into enforcement these days, but you could be setting yourself up for trouble.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Is the Baofeng type accepted for use in the service?

Personally, I would look into one of the Standard rigs:

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=85&encPr odID=EBD61457F117768BB3F44D8AA75A4A0E&DivisionID=3 &isArchived=1
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Conch Master
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=85&encPr odID=EBD61457F117768BB3F44D8AA75A4A0E&DivisionID=3 &isArchived=1
    Needs to be certified under Part 80 or something. In an emergency, who cares. The biggest issue I can see is the Baofeng might not be resistant to warm salt air. I've seen cameras and electronics get eaten up in one summer. I use a waterproof handheld marine radio.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    Needs to be certified under Part 80 or something. In an emergency, who cares. The biggest issue I can see is the Baofeng might not be resistant to warm salt air. I've seen cameras and electronics get eaten up in one summer. I use a waterproof handheld marine radio.
    After I posted this I jumped on eBay and looked for the Standard 370. There are quite a few used units going for considerably less than $100. Waterproof, and submersible. AFAIK, these use the same batteries as the VX6/VX7 series of amateur gear and can also be programmed with 2M amateur frequencies.

Based on the performance and durability of the -6 and -7R I own, I recommend that brand. Mine have been "thunderstorm wet" many times and keep on working FB.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by K9CCH View Post
    I know that my Baofeng HT can receive Marine VHF traffic because I've listened to the ships before, but is it open enough for me to transmit? I'm assuming that all the marine channels are simplex right?
    From what I've heard, the answer to this is, from a technical standpoint, "yes"

That doesn't mean that it would be legal to use, mind you, just that it's capable of it.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post

This, because of this...

Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    Salt air chews up electronics not designed for it. I'd hate to grab a radio when I need it the most, and it be corroded to shit.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

I was just wondering. I'm not going for the illegal side of things. I'll get a proper marine radio for the boat.

Now the trailer is a different story. We're living full time in our RV now after selling the house last month and I think I'm on the search for a new VHF mobile to use as a base station in the RV. We're on the coast so I should get some good range to a few repeater networks.

From a legal standpoint, like who cares? For one thing I hear captains on unused restricted USCG channels all the time to get away from the crowd. For a time I even heard them on nearby unused railroad channels. Some years ago when the New York Marine Operator existed and ship to shore full duplex was manual long before DTMF and cell phones I used an old marine brick handheld as a cheap mobile phone, you need a special license to operate a shore station. From a physical standpoint they're right, that Batfang would be quickly destroyed by a marine environment. Not that it matters, it's a throwaway radio, so when you're done with it just toss it overboard and pollute the environment with hazmat. (;->)

Oh you didn't know you have to recycle electronics as hazmat? Like my ex partner in crime Winston, a Jamaican always said "That am the joke."
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.