Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How come we don't do more on air contacts than we do?

How come we don't do more on air contacts than we do?

Carl and I have had several QSOs on SSB and PSK, and it is very enjoyable. Actually, I like it better than exchanges on here and other internet venues. Don't get me wrong, I really like the exchanges on here, too, but putting a voice to the call is cool. I realize some folks don't have a station ready to go, and some are in process. But, many do have the capability to get on anywhere from QRP to QRO. Hearing the other parties voice, and just letting the conversation morph to where ever it goes is really fun. I know this has been kicked around before, but I would like to talk with as many of the Islanders as possible, or even have a go-to frequency or two for Island use to monitor.

I only run an older 100 watt rig, and have a couple of QRP rigs, and the antennas are a 6BTV vertical or an OCD with tuners. Nothing fancy, but it works. I think it would be a real hoot if more of us could chat on the air.

But then, I could be full of shit, too.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    But then, I could be full of shit, too.
    :v

I don't have any radio stuff cept for a UHF ht and that is it.
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

I'm busy working and no radio in the truck. I'm going to be home tomorrow thru friday. I'd be willing to give it a shot. I'm not a very well spoken but i think i can grunt out a 73...lol

Forum Addict
    Mostly because I don't live in a place where I can set anything up for HF.

Spring/summer goal is to fix that.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

If you want to chat with more than 1 islander at a time, you'd need to find a band that would work for most. 20 &40 are the only 2 that leap to mind as being feasible.

Having said that, I'm ready to go on any band, preferable SSB. Ball's in your court.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

20M works well for me, as I've worked a number of Islanders and Zedizens alike on the band. That said, I've got to test the SB-104A/amp combo out and see if everything plays together nicely.

Anything above 17M will see one of the Paragons or the Omni VI pressed into service, 40 and 75M might employ the SB104A (QRO) or the Omni V (100w). I need to connect the rightmost Paragon/6BTV position up to the station PC and start playing with digi-modes once again. When I had a TS-940S in that spot I played with PSK31 a lot.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

17 and up ill probly use the flex 1500. Those freqs are a bit more forgiving for qrp. 20/40 will be the 7200. Dont hv anything for 60 80 or 160

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    If you want to chat with more than 1 islander at a time, you'd need to find a band that would work for most. 20 &40 are the only 2 that leap to mind as being feasible.

Having said that, I'm ready to go on any band, preferable SSB. Ball's in your court.

I hate when I find other peoples balls in my court.

I'll have some time in the morning if you want to give it a go. We can work out the time and freq on here prior to......

I had a QSO with Eddie 40m today. We talked about pretty much nothing and had a great time doing it. We also made plans for an on-air code practice session.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 03-09-2015 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I had a QSO with Eddie 40m today. We talked about pretty much nothing and had a great time doing it. We also made plans for an on-air code practice session.

Well, it IS my area of expertise.