Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Valiant

Dodge Dart GT's were cool.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    Back in my high school days, a friend of mine had a clapped-out '62 Valiant convertible with the slant-six engine. The top was in such bad shape that he never bothered to put it up even when it was raining, but we had a lot of fun cruisin' the El Camino Real in that thing.

I saw a '64 Valiant convertible with a "For Sale" sign on it a while back and was sorely tempted...
    Bah, you can get For Sale signs just about everywhere.

Years ago, I had a '62 Valiant. It's amazing how back in the day when you wanted a different car (notice I didn't say new) the one you had was "a piece of shit". It's funny how that POS became a collectable several years later. Excluding Yugos, of course. They are forever destined to be the eternal piece of shit.
    Last edited by K7SGJ; 02-03-2016 at 01:22 PM.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Master Navigator
    According to this interview of a record label executive (who surprisingly wasn't the 'WIK), Diamond Dave once owned a Valiant.

CKC3avMWoAA0av5.jpg

On the first day he met Van Halen:
    Warner Music invited the band to the Petit Chateau on Lancashire in North Hollywood...to discuss their debut album. David Lee Roth showed up half an hour late, explaining his old Plymouth Valiant had broken down a couple of miles from the restaurant. Out of that lunch, we announced to the guys that they'd be going on a major tour to support their first record, and from there, we took them to the Whisky so they could rehearse for us. I later learned Lee Roth never went to pick up his rusty Valiant, and when I asked him why, he told me that it represented the past. All he was focused on was his future.

The Time David Lee Roth Abandoned His Plymouth Valiant to Rot: http://www.laweekly.com/music/the-ti...to-rot-2408133
    Last edited by XE1/N5AL; 02-05-2016 at 12:15 AM.

This transmitter came from the estate of my friend Phil/KB2MAM. Getting some of these Johnson transmitters in and out of the Cabinet is a real pain in the ass. He solved this by putting the Valiant in a Johnson invader Cabinet , which had a hinged door on the top. Then he cut the bottom of the cabinet out, and added a hinge. Just remove 5 screws and it swings open. Very slick.
    valiant 3.jpgvaliant 2.jpgvaliant.jpgvaliant bottom.jpg

Nice.

I am a big fan of "usability" mods such as that one.

You get on 80/40M AM with it, George?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Awesome rig dude. Someday maybe I can get me something nice too. Have fun with that!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Nice.

I am a big fan of "usability" mods such as that one.

You get on 80/40M AM with it, George?
    I have a sked with a friend Sunday mornings on 75. When we are on AM, I usually use the Valiant.

Super nice looking rig.

Quote Originally Posted by w2amr View Post
    I have a sked with a friend Sunday mornings on 75. When we are on AM, I usually use the Valiant.
    In another Boatanchors thread I remarked that I got hold of an FR-101. We can add a transmitter (FL-101) to that, and early Saturday morning I managed to score a YO-101 monitor scope.

The TX was inspected, cleaned out and prepped for service over the weekend. Still have to wire the transceive cable and the accessory plug for filament power, RX mute and amplifier switching then test it. Tubes don't look like they've been abused (fingers crossed).

The YO-101 is going to require a little work to make it fully operational before being placed into service. At that time I'm going to change my center operating position to accommodate all the Yaesu pieces. Don't know if 15w AM carrier is going to be doable or not on 75 between us but we can give it a try.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."