Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Everybody has a cool avatar....

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    When you were a kid, smoking and smokers did not have the stigma it has now. The Surgeon General hadn't yet announced the smoking was bad for you. Cigarette and other tobacco ads were prevalent across most or all media... even doctors endorsed cigarette and cigar brands, and many major (and not so major) radio and (later) TV shows were sponsored by tobacco companies in the form of one brand or another. The iconic Marlboro Man was just coming into his own, and we had yet to sing jingles about "a silly little millimeter longer", though there were many other jingles to sing.

Indeed, those days are gone now.
    I quit smoking 39 days ago.... my wife was s'posed to quit 39 days ago also. I haven't had a cigarette since....my wife, about 10 a day. The smell is fuckin' killing me.

"One man with courage makes a majority." ~ Andrew Jackson

Steve KA9MOT
    Macomb, IL

Drifting off tangent... or, smoke gets in your eyes... :cool2:

I've always wondered about the correlations between smoking and the increased health issues. What I mean is...

- Why wasn't smoking considered more dangerous back through the 18th, 19th, and early 20th Centuries than it is now? Was it that no one noticed, or is it something else?
    - Was the more sophisticated and polished marketing, starting with the rise of radio and later television, responsible for the majority of the health issues that came about (or were noticed, finally) in the late 1950's & 1960's?
    - Or was it something else? Was Big Tobacco's research into making a "better" cigarette actually designed to make a "better" smoke, or a more addictive one?

(And yes, I know that these aren't necessarily "true/false - yes/no" answers... that these and other factors are all interrelated.)
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Drifting off tangent... or, smoke gets in your eyes... :cool2:

I've always wondered about the correlations between smoking and the increased health issues. What I mean is...

- Why wasn't smoking considered more dangerous back through the 18th, 19th, and early 20th Centuries than it is now? Was it that no one noticed, or is it something else?
    - Was the more sophisticated and polished marketing, starting with the rise of radio and later television, responsible for the majority of the health issues that came about (or were noticed, finally) in the late 1950's & 1960's?
    - Or was it something else? Was Big Tobacco's research into making a "better" cigarette actually designed to make a "better" smoke, or a more addictive one?

(And yes, I know that these aren't necessarily "true/false - yes/no" answers... that these and other factors are all interrelated.)
    1) People didn't live as long back then.
    2) The more industrialized we became the more carcinogens (or possibility of) we were exposed to. Add smoking and it became a 1, 2 punch.
    3) The tobacco and process was manipulated to make a more addictive cigarette. Basically they turned it into crack. This is the part where you're supposed to say that you wouldn't know what that's like. The addition of chemicals also created more chemicals as a result of combustion.

nfm
    Last edited by KØWVM; 10-14-2015 at 10:22 AM.
    WVM
    Kilo Zero West Virginia Mountaineer

Chad Eagle
    Ogden, UT
    Montani Semper Liberi - "Mountaineers Are Always Free"
    June 20, 1863

That is all!

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    2) The more industrialized we became the more carcinogens (or possibility of) we were exposed to. Add smoking and it became a 1, 2 punch.
    3) The tobacco and process was manipulated to make a more addictive cigarette. Basically they turned it into crack. This is the part where you're supposed to say that you wouldn't know what that's like. The addition of chemicals also created more chemicals as a result of combustion.

Also people most likely didn't smoke as much. An occasional pipe or an after dinner cigar. A friend of mine described his grandfathers idea of smoking. It consisted of lighting up a 5 cent stogie after dinner, taking a puff or two and then dropping it in the ashtray and letting it go out while he fell asleep.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    WRT # 1 & #2 above, yes, absolutely, these are also additional factors.

WRT # 3... the only crack I'm familiar with has to do with certain female articles of clothing, or more accurately, what portions of the female anatomy that get exposed when, while wearing said articles of clothing, they, ah, well,, contort in the proper direction. Well, that, and concrete sidewalks that have been excessively weathered, and things like that.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

WRT # 1 & #2 above, yes, absolutely, these are also additional factors.

WRT # 3... the only crack I'm familiar with has to do with certain female articles of clothing, or more accurately, what portions of the female anatomy that get exposed when, while wearing said articles of clothing, they, ah, well,, contort in the proper direction. Well, that, and concrete sidewalks that have been excessively weathered, and things like that.
    Fertilizer is already present in the plant due to over fertilization in the fields. Add to that carbamide peroxide, allantoin, hydantoin and ammonium chloride. You have something that makes it absorb in the lungs faster and causes an instant increase in heart rate delivering every one of those 7000 chemicals to the brain faster and harder. This ain't your grandpa's Lucky Strike.

Magdalena,New Mexico-- more left than right
    Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    I used to enjoy the heck out of these...

I used to prefer Park Lane brand myself......not familiar ???

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...ette+dinky+dow
    Last edited by NM5TF; 10-14-2015 at 11:08 AM.
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    Arch Linux OS
    "If you're not living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space"--Unknown