Thread: New Tablet

New Tablet

The kids went and got me a tablet for my birthday, nice gift but I'm having problems picking up my WIFI. With my smart phone I can pick up the WIFI any were in the house, and we have a rpt. It's a Nextbook Ares 8 with Lollipop Android OS. Any ideas on how to boost this thing up so I can get WIFI??
    [SIGPIC] 73

Go to the Google Play store, and download WiFi Analyzer and Droid WiFi Analyzer. They both show signal strength and all kinds of signal related stuff to help you see what's going on. Put them on you phone as well, and compare the two. I'm not familiar with that particular tablet, might be something isn't set the way the router wants it. I doubt you can do much to the tablet if it's kind of deaf, but I had that problem with some of my tablets and laptops. I ended up putting in a secondary high power router that now pretty well covers the whole 5 acres, which is nice when I need to use the tablet while in one of the back trains. That unit is an Amped Wireless that puts out some serious power. Also, as in ham radio, they make some gain antennas to use with your current router to extend the distance, which may help. I also tried several different wireless extenders, basically a repeater, and although they worked okay, they kept losing the main routers signal, and required a reset almost daily. It was too much of a pain in the ass, so I went to the Amped Wireless. When I compare the signal from my Century Link router and the Amped Wireless, the Amped shows at least twice the signal strength. One thing to keep in mind is to take some extra security measures since the router will work at a much greater distance. I manually tell the router the addresses of our computers and phones, and to only allow them access, and lock everything else out. Good luck. It can be fun/frustrating to find a solution that works for you.
    Last edited by K7SGJ; 08-02-2015 at 11:32 AM.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Go to the Google Play store, and download WiFi Analyzer and Droid WiFi Analyzer. They both show signal strength and all kinds of signal related stuff to help you see what's going on. Put them on you phone as well, and compare the two. I'm not familiar with that particular tablet, might be something isn't set the way the router wants it. I doubt you can do much to the tablet if it's kind of deaf, but I had that problem with some of my tablets and laptops. I ended up putting in a secondary high power router that now pretty well covers the whole 5 acres, which is nice when I need to use the tablet while in one of the back trains. That unit is an Amped Wireless that puts out some serious power. Also, as in ham radio, they make some gain antennas to use with your current router to extend the distance, which may help. I also tried several different wireless extenders, basically a repeater, and although they worked okay, they kept losing the main routers signal, and required a reset almost daily. It was too much of a pain in the ass, so I went to the Amped Wireless. When I compare the signal from my Century Link router and the Amped Wireless, the Amped shows at least twice the signal strength. One thing to keep in mind is to take some extra security measures since the router will work at a much greater distance. I manually tell the router the addresses of our computers and phones, and to only allow them access, and lock everything else out. Good luck. It can be fun/frustrating to find a solution that works for you.
    I don't want to pull off topic from Hank's thread,of which I can only offer a smart ass suggestion of putting a brick linear amplifier on the router

..... but,Eddie could you explain to me what........ ''while in one of the back trains'' means? just a curious question from a Canajun.......:chin:
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt! :roll:

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!

Quote Originally Posted by VE7DCW View Post
    I don't want to pull off topic from Hank's thread,of which I can only offer a smart ass suggestion of putting a brick linear amplifier on the router

..... but,Eddie could you explain to me what........ ''while in one of the back trains'' means? just a curious question from a Canajun.......:chin:
    Cargo containers filled with treasure.

Yep, give that man a ceegar. We have 9 cargo containers full of electronic parts and stuff we moved out here when my wife and her bro closed and sold the brick and mortar site. Since these things are about the same size, shape, etc., we just refer to them as the trains out front or the trains out back.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL