Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lifestyle Changes

Lifestyle Changes

Damn it! I am only 41!!!

Had my first session of physical therapy today because of some rotator cuff problems. It really helped. I think it all started when I tried to lift my table saw up (it is about 300 lbs) and pulled something in my collar bone/shoulder area. That was 7 years ago. It took a while to heal, and which is typical for me, I just dealt with it instead of going to the doctor. Over the past 6 months, it now hurts everyday and my shoulder area gets sore and stiff (especially in the morning). It has started to affect my sleep on some nights.

So the physical therapist said the "A" word today... Arthritis with inflammation. She suspects it is being contributed by my occupation (I am a software developer and my posture is horrendous). Luckily, I can start using these wobbly chairs that encourages better posture and I can stand at my workstation when I want (the desk moves up and down).

Oh yeah, my blood pressure has been high and my knees are bothering me. I am overweight (248 lbs) so I will be doing something about that. I have lost 6 lbs already since I started eating less processed food and sugary things and eating whole cooked meals at home.

But the thing that sucks the most? I need to cut back on my beloved Crown. Need to cut back from 5 to 7 servings a week.

Since the shack is torn down, I can't get on 75M to complain about it all... so I figured I would complain here :)

Jason N8XE

EDIT: I meant to add that all my numbers are good... Triglycerides, Cholesterol, and glucose levels... so that is going for me!
    Last edited by N8XE; 07-29-2015 at 03:01 PM.
    "Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense." - Carl Sagan

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    I'd just dump the alcohol altogether.

I can't begin to explain how much better I feel since I quit imbibing. I went from crazy high blood pressure down to normal and more importantly with no meds.

Saves money too.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by WX7P View Post
    I'd just dump the alcohol altogether.

I can't begin to explain how much better I feel since I quit imbibing. I went from crazy high blood pressure down to normal and more importantly with no meds.

Saves money too.
    Sobriety is too extreme for me.

I will say this - if you start running or any kind of impact-based activity, get to a real store and find someone who'll work with you to find the right shoes. Just walking into a Foot Locker or whatever and buying what looks good on the rack will knock everything out of whack right quick.

But even 30 min or so of lactate-inducing cardio on a bike or elliptical is good. Anything to get the O2 in, and the CO2 out...
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I have been biking lately... only about 1 or 2 times a week. I love my bike!!

Jason N8XE
    "Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense." - Carl Sagan

Forum Addict
    One of these days, I keep telling myself I'll get into either mountain biking or kayaking. I think since my other cross-training activity is running, shredding my arms to the point of uselessness would be a better call, lol.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Master Navigator
    Right now, I'm paying Medifast a whole lot of money to get me back to a state of merely a little fat. I haven't been there since I was about 40.

The secret of the Medifast diet is simple. You get two meals that consist of 5-7 oz. of lean meat and a green vegetable. Every 2-3 hours, you need to eat a high protein, low carb snack. Medifast sells some
    very expensive bars that are made mostly out of soybeans, but I think there are commercial ones out there that are similar enough. They do have good protein shakes. We usually have a shake in the morning,
    then a bar about three hours later. Mid-afternoon, a typical meal is a chicken breast on a salad. Then bars every couple hours until dinner time, which is again protein and greens of some kind. There has been some increase in physical activity as a result of being able to do more things now, but not a lot yet.

The program works. I'm down 51 lbs. since February, and wife is down almost 20 - but she was a lot skinnier than me to start. I no longer need to call Omar the Tentmaker when I need a new shirt.

My body tuned to crap at 40. That was also when I was diagnosed with diabetes, which is a major factor. But I've become much more aware of the foods we eat now, too.

If you get Netfllix, there is a great documentary out there, titled 'Fed Up'. It talks about the role of sugar in the obesity epidemic, and they make a very compelling case. All you have to do is look at
    the packaging and see how many grams of sugar there are. Four grams of sugar equals 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar. A 12 oz. Coke has 39 grams - that's just shy of 10 teaspoons of refined sugar,
    or 10 sugar cubes. You don't even put that much sugar in your iced tea.

Refined sugar triggers the production of insulin, which converts carbohydrates directly into fat. Excess insulin and excess carbs = fat. Simple sugars are converted into triglycerides.

But what about sugar free drinks? Unfortunately, the artificial sweeteners also trigger the body's release of insulin, and the same formula applies, you just don't have the extra carbs from
    the sugar itself. But, I and many other people believe that diet drinks actually make you hungrier. If you are having trouble with that diet, lay off the pop.

But soft drinks are a drop in the bucket compared to prepared foods. Three reduced fat Oreos have 14g of sugar - that's 3.5 teaspoons of refined sugar. A 20 oz. Orange Julius has about the
    same as a 12 oz/ Coke - 38 g. That Starbucks Mocha frappuccino has 47 g. A 28 oz, Slurpee has 63. A Cinnabon has 55. Eggo waffles with no syrup are OK. Here's a handy reference, but
    you can get these numbers from the packages of everything you buy -
    http://www.sugarstacks.com/

Here's another list of things that are surprisingly high in sugar - http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/su...n-sugar?page=4

As the documentary explains, we are hooked on sugar from infancy - our baby formula is loaded with it. Politics, not science, has created the impression that sugar is good for you, when it's actually very toxic.

We can't just eliminate all sugars, many are naturally occurring. My wife and I are bummed because watermelon is not allowed due to it's high sugar content. But giving up sweet stuff is a quick way to lose weight. And so is reading labels and understanding what a gram of sugar means.

Forum Addict
    I went to black coffee when I quit soda at 25. But I was ruining my teeth faster than getting diabetes...
    Jim

Orca Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by K0RGR View Post
    Right now, I'm paying Medifast a whole lot of money to get me back to a state of merely a little fat. I haven't been there since I was about 40.

The secret of the Medifast diet is simple. You get two meals that consist of 5-7 oz. of lean meat and a green vegetable. Every 2-3 hours, you need to eat a high protein, low carb snack. Medifast sells some
    very expensive bars that are made mostly out of soybeans, but I think there are commercial ones out there that are similar enough. They do have good protein shakes. We usually have a shake in the morning,
    then a bar about three hours later. Mid-afternoon, a typical meal is a chicken breast on a salad. Then bars every couple hours until dinner time, which is again protein and greens of some kind. There has been some increase in physical activity as a result of being able to do more things now, but not a lot yet.

The program works. I'm down 51 lbs. since February, and wife is down almost 20 - but she was a lot skinnier than me to start. I no longer need to call Omar the Tentmaker when I need a new shirt.

My body tuned to crap at 40. That was also when I was diagnosed with diabetes, which is a major factor. But I've become much more aware of the foods we eat now, too.

If you get Netfllix, there is a great documentary out there, titled 'Fed Up'. It talks about the role of sugar in the obesity epidemic, and they make a very compelling case. All you have to do is look at
    the packaging and see how many grams of sugar there are. Four grams of sugar equals 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar. A 12 oz. Coke has 39 grams - that's just shy of 10 teaspoons of refined sugar,
    or 10 sugar cubes. You don't even put that much sugar in your iced tea.

Refined sugar triggers the production of insulin, which converts carbohydrates directly into fat. Excess insulin and excess carbs = fat. Simple sugars are converted into triglycerides.

But what about sugar free drinks? Unfortunately, the artificial sweeteners also trigger the body's release of insulin, and the same formula applies, you just don't have the extra carbs from
    the sugar itself. But, I and many other people believe that diet drinks actually make you hungrier. If you are having trouble with that diet, lay off the pop.

But soft drinks are a drop in the bucket compared to prepared foods. Three reduced fat Oreos have 14g of sugar - that's 3.5 teaspoons of refined sugar. A 20 oz. Orange Julius has about the
    same as a 12 oz/ Coke - 38 g. That Starbucks Mocha frappuccino has 47 g. A 28 oz, Slurpee has 63. A Cinnabon has 55. Eggo waffles with no syrup are OK. Here's a handy reference, but
    you can get these numbers from the packages of everything you buy -
    http://www.sugarstacks.com/

Here's another list of things that are surprisingly high in sugar - http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/su...n-sugar?page=4

As the documentary explains, we are hooked on sugar from infancy - our baby formula is loaded with it. Politics, not science, has created the impression that sugar is good for you, when it's actually very toxic.

We can't just eliminate all sugars, many are naturally occurring. My wife and I are bummed because watermelon is not allowed due to it's high sugar content. But giving up sweet stuff is a quick way to lose weight. And so is reading labels and understanding what a gram of sugar means.
    It's all much, much, much simpler than all of that:

Calories in > Calories Out = Fat production to store excess energy
    Calories in = Calories Out = Maintaining weight
    Calories in < Calories Out = Weight loss

Fed Up! is loaded with a bunch of malarkey (https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...up-make-sense/), that attempts to convince people there's magic diet cures. Medifast works because it puts you on a calorie restricted diet, with controlled macronutrients.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled what you're doing is working for you. However, it may not be sustainable, as you'll really need to learn how to budget caloric intake with caloric burn. I would start transitioning from the Medifast plan into calorie counting programs, like Weight Watchers (Which works if you understand it's pitfalls), or MyFitnessPal :)
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Im using MyFitnessPal. Pretty good program.

I'm trying a LCHF diet for a few months to get my blood sugar down and lose weight. Been on it for almost a month. So far my average BS has dropped from 300 to 120 according to my meter. I've lost 17lbs. Gonna see how my cholesterol labs look in October to see if i can/should stick to the way of eating.

Also joined a FB group promoting it so i can compare whats going on vs what should be happening with my diet. Nice group of people. Well controlled and no bullshit from anyone. Not the usual scum of humanity like the rest of the internet...lol

As I get older (yech) I have to fight my weight a little more. Always get a little tubby in the summer, 'cause I'm not skiing twice a week or more. I'm at about 215 now, muy "happy weight" is about 185-195. I hit just under 200 this spring, and my doctor(s) were not too alarmed as I have been slowly going up after fighting cancer for over four years.

It's really hard to avoid the processed foods working long and sometimes weird hours. But I know I feel a hell of a lot better when I eat my own food from a lunch cooler. Given the choice I LIKE chicken, seafood, veggies and fruits just fine. Get hungry, just want to eat!

I've been after my probiotics for a while, this does help. But it's goofy with the probiotic products out there. I'm gonna try switching to kimchee and/or fresh kraut soon.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman