Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ARRL Dues Hike & More

I tend to agree especially since 2M CB has become a vast desert wasteland across the country. The good part and I mean GOOD part is getting away from the CB style (without all the cussing and carrying on) operating and learn to be REAL hams where operating is entirely different. HF is where it's at and with higher frequency bands pretty dead except for a few local watering holes on 10M it looks like a segment of 80M is a grand idea. Let's hope the FCC agrees, they have a bad habit of nixing some good proposals.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

As an AM'er I can't even join the ARRL much less hold a position there.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

It ebbs and flows around here, but we are blessed with killer repeater coverage, and some pretty good ham radio groups on the front range. The W0CRA repeater system is one of my favorites, there is a machene at 145.145 that is known as the ragchew and/or doubling repeater. It gets a little nuts, but rarely does anybody QRM or get too weird.

On that machine, I got christened as "Linear Lips" recently. My back got bad (it does that sometimes) so I took a couple of Tramadol, then went off on a mild and funny (loopy) rant about my zany health care billable experiences. Timed out the repeater. Still hearing about it, both the timeout and the subject. So it goes.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    As an AM'er I can't even join the ARRL much less hold a position there.
    ?
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post

On that machine, I got christened as "Linear Lips" recently. My back got bad (it does that sometimes) so I took a couple of Tramadol, then went off on a mild and funny (loopy) rant about my zany health care billable experiences. Timed out the repeater. Still hearing about it, both the timeout and the subject. So it goes.
    That's when you take it to 75
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Master Navigator

It ebbs and flows around here, but we are blessed with killer repeater coverage, and some pretty good ham radio groups on the front range. The W0CRA repeater system is one of my favorites, there is a machene at 145.145 that is known as the ragchew and/or doubling repeater. It gets a little nuts, but rarely does anybody QRM or get too weird.

If you live near I-5, I-15, or I-25 two meters can be very entertaining. Even here, if you live within 30 miles of the Twin Cities Metro, there is enough activity to make you think you didn't waste your money on a two meter rig. But in between there and the next island of activity is a long, long drive. Actually, it's not that bad around here if you have DSTAR or IRLP and can connect to people who live near I-5, I-15- or I-25.

I don't know how many Techs will actually get on 80 meter digital modes - probably not all that many. But it gives us something else to offer the interested. 15 meters will be a boost for everybody, as that band is under-utilized, particularly for digital. Those of us waving the tattered banner of HF can try to evangelize, and perhaps shift the emphasis off of two meters a bit.

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/20308

If that one is slow, (Dave timed out the machine) here is one that might fill the bill:

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14816
    Last edited by n0km; 08-17-2015 at 04:20 PM.

Linear lips? Ain't nothin', I know a guy who did it up good. As if a 2M H stack up 90ft wasn't enough, he fed it with a kilowatt Class C FM amp (YIKES!) and made old buzzard transmissions lasting 20 minutes or more. Once he timed out simplex LITERALLY, over an hour later .52 was dead as a door nail, the half dozen people he was talking with were gone as was everybody within a 200 mile radius. Oh I wasn't dumb enough to sit there listening, I was watching the bars on my HT while in QSO on a 70cM linked repeater network.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.