Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dedication? Or...

Dedication? Or...

Email posted to the CQ Contest reflector earlier this morning (EDT). Call sign of sender deliberately not included, and location of operation redacted, both for obvious reasons; emphasis added.
    New Mexico is hosting the W1AW/5 call sign for the IARU contest this coming Saturday/Sunday.

I will be operating the only 160 M station with the W1AW call sign in this contest. I will be utilizing the [ redacted ] station.

I will operate both modes, splitting up each hour into segments as the demand requires. I will operate from 1200Z (sunrise at 1230Z) until 1400Z local Saturday morning.

I will be at my daughter's wedding at 0100Z Saturday evening local, but will be back at the station and on the air approximately 0500Z.

I will operate the balance of the night.
    Now, there's one school of thought that would congratulate a hard-core contester on dedication.

But the thought that keeps running through my mind... really? You're going to leave your daughter's wedding reception early... to contest? Your daughter? Really?

Now, I have contested after returning home from wedding receptions. One time was during Pa QSO, we'd been at double-header; KQ3DX (now NB3C)'s wedding at noon, followed by a cousin [N3SRC(sk)'s son] in the afternoon. Another was stopping by a FD site after leaving another cousin's reception, since the FD site was only 2 or 3 miles from the hotel we stayed at. But those occasions, and a handful of others, weren't my immediate family, like a son or daughter.

Am I missing something here? Because my immediate reaction is that this is going too far.

(I'm deliberately NOT going to ask this Over Yonder, as I'm sure the anti-contest crowd, led by everyone's favorite gym teacher, would jump all over it)
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

If my son/daughter was marrying the last thing on my mind would be the hobby let alone contesting or special station/event.
    But that is just my 2 € cents...
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I guess this is why I'll never be a serious contester....
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Maybe he just doesn't like his daughter/son-in-law-to-be all that much? Case in point: if my stepdaughter were to schedule her wedding on the same day as Field Day, I'd spend the day on the radio, not at the wedding.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    Maybe he just doesn't like his daughter/son-in-law-to-be all that much? Case in point: if my stepdaughter were to schedule her wedding on the same day as Field Day, I'd spend the day on the radio, not at the wedding.
    I'd be lying if I didn't admit that a similar thought hadn't crossed my mind... but even so, is a rift like that something that you'd want to imply, let alone outright admit?

Of course, for all we know, there are extenuating circumstances (reception will be low key and has to end by a certain time anyway). Just seems a bit "off", on the surface.

And, Jim? I hear you on that. That's one of the reasons why I am not likely to ever get invited to join the regional "contest club" that operates a certain well-known (be it famous or infamous I'll leave to your discretion) M/M station not far away from me.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    I'd be lying if I didn't admit that a similar thought hadn't crossed my mind... but even so, is a rift like that something that you'd want to imply, let alone outright admit?
    Well, I just outright admitted my dislike for my step daughter, who essentially abandoned her two children and forced the XYL and I to step up to take care of them—which we're still doing, BTW. Of course, I've made no secret of that fact here in the past, so perhaps it's not the same thing.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

And, Jim? I hear you on that. That's one of the reasons why I am not likely to ever get invited to join the regional "contest club" that operates a certain well-known (be it famous or infamous I'll leave to your discretion) M/M station not far away from me.
    I don't think I'll ever have to worry about being invited to join a contest club. Piss poor contest scores, slow rate, not a lot of experience running a frequency, and no sense of "dedication". I also find most of that crowd to be too intense for my liking.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Forum Addict
    I've not found ham operators to always be the most socially-savvy people I've met.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    I don't think I'll ever have to worry about being invited to join a contest club. Piss poor contest scores, slow rate, not a lot of experience running a frequency, and no sense of "dedication". I also find most of that crowd to be too intense for my liking.
    I'm technically a member of one, but I can't give a crap about winning anything under my own call.

I have too many other hobbies to dedicate that much time/money. Oddly - or perhaps not - I find that the most boring people in ham radio are those that know nothing else but ham radio. Get outside once, bro.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The contesters I know personally are just glad you are participating. They are a hoot to hang out with in Dayton.

The only real contest I take seriously is the CW sweepstakes in November. My whole ham radio year revolves around it (and Dayton). The family knows that I am unavailable (unless there is an emergency of course) that weekend.

Jason N8XE
    "Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense." - Carl Sagan