Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest project finished

Latest project finished

My daughter bought an old trunk at a yard sale for $5.00. It had been painted some god awful color and was in need of either burning or throwing in the landfill. I looked at it and thought this would be a great project that should relatively easy to complete, wrong. After starting the dismantling I saw how much this thing has been neglected and abused through the years. So I ordered some canvas for the outside and attached it to the shell with a high powered glue. I then found some old-timey shellac and painted it on the canvas, hoping to give it an old look. That worked pretty good. The wood of the shell was very dry and brittle so I had to be very careful pulling the 10,000 original nails that were bent over on their points for a secure hold. I ordered some copper nails to accent the hardware and also to hold the leather strips that I put on the corners. The strips on the top are cherry that my father gave me and on the inside there is some mahogany strips that I had. I finally decided to put cedar on the inside so it could be used for storage of blankets and other stuff.

So after about a year of working on this thing, it's finally finished. I would cuss it everytime I would start on it, "Why didn't you let her paint it"? Now that it's done, I already miss working on it.

"Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Is the cedar there to keep the moths out of the radios you plan on storing in the thing?
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Congrats, Nice job Bob.

Perfect for antique blankets, shawls, doilies, and quilts. Betcha gots some, dontcha Bob?
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

This is my daughters trunk. She has a number of quilts that her grandmother made for her and other stuff for cold weather. We have a lot of "Grandma made" quilts too, but they don't have a specified place to be stored. I guess I need to make one for us.

CRAP, here we go again. LOL.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Nice job. Give up radio and take up restoration.
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

Nice job Bob. I'll be glad when I can get back to my woodworking. I have a bunch of things in progress as well as in the planning stages. I love making sawdust.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Banned
    That is really nice, Bob. Great job.