Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad,Bad Fire Season going on!

Bad,Bad Fire Season going on!

BC is going through one of the worst fire seasons we've seen in almost 50 years going along with the drought that has hammered the western part of North America.I woke up this morning with the skies obliterated in thick smoke from the Port Hardy fire on the north end of Vancouver Island that has only been burning the last couple of days! I tried to take some pictures with my cell phone camera to show you what it was like here outside the house,but my camera won't take the right pictures.....

Click on the link below and see the CBC news story about it from Vancouver with contributed photos from viewers who take accurate pictures of what it's like in the Vancouver area.We are a little worse shape smoke wise,but it is a blessing in one way,the smoke has blocked the sun lowering the air temperature 8 degrees Celsius.A far cry from the 30+ degrees Celsius record temperatures we have been suffering the last 10 days or so! (I suppose this demonstrates the effect of a nuclear winter in theory!) :shock:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/smok...uver-1.3138949
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt!

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!

Witch Doctor
    but its a dry winter
    Sarcasm is a Body's Natural Defense Against Stupid

I can relate to this.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

step 1 get marshmallows
    step 2 go to fire
    step 3 ???????
    step 4 profit
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by VE7MGF View Post
    but its a dry winter
    .....but,but Surrey never has a dry summer! Mike.......the Surrey mayor keeps touting it as the promised land,that's if you don't mind dodging all the bullets!
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt!

Master Navigator
    We're getting a lot of smoke from those fires here. Our normally blue sky looks overcast, but it's smoke.

It looks like our family camping spot in Alpine Co., CA got torched this year. Maps of the fire show it burning right up to the edge of the lakes we camp on, and
    all the campgrounds down below that are ashes now. The damage will likely take a very long time to recover. There had not been a fire back there since I was a
    small child, and it didn't get near the lakes, so there was a lot of burnable fuel for this fire - not good for trees. If a fire goes through quickly, the trees can survive.
    They half ruined this some years ago when they paved the road to the lakes, but it was still an OK place to camp - just a lot more people now.

Witch Doctor
    there is a wet summer in surrey now just 2 shootings this weekend
    really stinks of smoke in delta toay
    Sarcasm is a Body's Natural Defense Against Stupid

Quote Originally Posted by VE7MGF View Post
    there is a wet summer in surrey now just 2 shootings this weekend
    really stinks of smoke in delta toay

I agree..... the smoke is real bad here in Duncan and ash from the Port Hardy fire is falling like fine snow everywhere! You can literally smell the burning trees from up there.......sad really :(

I hope the pine beetles and other tree pests lay low this year, else there could be a lot of dead wood to add to the problems.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.