Thread: Linux Mint 17 & Firefox Flash Player Update

Linux Mint 17 & Firefox Flash Player Update

Ever since Linux Mint 17.1 updated Firefox to version 38.0, the flash player plugin has stopped working, and displays a dire warning about the plugin being out of date. Adobe does have updates available, but the APT download apparently points to an invalid repository. Here is how to install the current latest version of the flash player for Firefox:

First, go here:
    https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
    to download the latest version... we want the "tar.gz file for other linux". It should detect if you have a 32 or 64 bit system. My example is for an i386 (32 bit) machine, so I downloaded "install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz".

Go to the folder you downloaded file to in a terminal window and issue the following command:
    Code:
    tar -xf install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
    When that is complete, you need to copy the .so file to your Firefox plugins directory. In Linux Mint 17.1, this is the proper command:
    Code:
    sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    Enter your password, then restart Firefox if necessary. It worked perfectly here. Solution found here in the Mint forums, about 2/3 of the way down the page:
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=185097

Other distributions may require a different installation method, so far only tested this on the one machine.
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Banned
    Hmmmm... Running 17.1 here but never had that problem. Weird.

I still think we'd all be better off if everyone would just boycott sites that use Flash.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Magdalena,New Mexico-- more left than right
    which version of flash caused this problem ???

running Mint 17.1 with FF v 38.0.5 & flash v 11.2.202.468 here with no problems....
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    Arch Linux OS
    "If you're not living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    I still think we'd all be better off if everyone would just boycott sites that use Flash.
    totally this
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by NM5TF View Post
    which version of flash caused this problem ???

running Mint 17.1 with FF v 38.0.5 & flash v 11.2.202.468 here with no problems....
    11.2.202.466 caused the issue with the update to FF 38.0

11.2.202.468 is the current version. No issues so far!
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Youtube and a myriad of other media sites would be screwed. Even HTML5 uses a flash engine to render some media. Pretty much, you wouldn't watch another video in the internet for a while.