Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rectified Spirits

Rectified Spirits

Anyone ever try "rectified spirit" ? It's a product of Poland called "Spirytus Rektyfikowany". It's 192 proof or 96% ethanol by volume. So it is actually even slightly stronger than Everclear. Of course tt cannot be drank straight as it will destroy your throat, esophagus, stomach , etc. It has to be mixed and being almost pure ethanol it adds heat but very little of its own flavor to whatever you mix it with. For best results and safety I would advise mixing it as 1 part spirit to 4 parts water (or mix) or maximum 1 part spirit to 2 parts water which would dilute it down to 97 proof which is still deathly strong.

P.S. It also serves as a great fast evaporating disinfectant and an excellent cleaning fluid, solvent, as well as an excellent fuel for emergency cook stoves.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

And it's almost as tasty as kerosene.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    And it's almost as tasty as kerosene.
    Actually since it's almost pure absolute ethanol it has no taste to it. It's the kind of thing you feel rather than taste. It's more like a drug than a beverage.

Forum Addict
    I've had straight 190+ proof 'shine. I'm still here.

Laphroaig actually makes a variant of their very tasty Islay malt in a 100-proof version; it got me in trouble a few NYE's ago.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Rectified spirits? I remember years ago seeing them come from a fried selenium stack.......
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

I have used Everclear to clean the lenses, and reflector on several optical comparators. It does not smear like mineral spirits do.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    I have used Everclear to clean the lenses, and reflector on several optical comparators. It does not smear like mineral spirits do.
    Yep. But this stuff is even stronger than Everclear, stronger. Only thing that might top it is reagent grade Ethanol. I usually use acetone to clean glass optics. This stuff may even work better.

Must be good stuff if it will fry your rectum.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman