Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: See if you can spot the problem with the following

That "gold standard SWR device" looks like a big resister with screw terminals hidden inside of a big heat sink.

There was some company, in the neighborhood of 20 years ago, who was marketing a magic antenna with a secret box that you hooked the wires to. Someone (was this in QST or 73?) who finally reviewed it took the secret box apart, cleaned out all the gunk heat sink material around the central component, and discovered... a big 50 ohm resistor bank. So of course the antenna always presented a 1:1 SWR, all the radio saw was the resistors.

After the review was published, if memory serves, the magic antenna and the company marketing it quickly disappeared.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    That "gold standard SWR device" looks like a big resister with screw terminals hidden inside of a big heat sink.
    Give that man a cigar.... and a kewpie doll! We have a winnah!!
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Sonny Irons' old company offered the Max-Comm. Was touted as manna by people who should have known better and/or didn't have access to a network analyzer.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Master Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    He'd tuned up the radio and forgotten to take it off the dummy load before checking into the net.

And the dummy load he was using that night, or so he said? A 100 W light bulb.
    I'd swap out that 100 W bulb for a 300 W monster, to get a: 10 log (300W / 100W) = 4.8 dB SIGNAL BOOST!!!!
    And to insure top station efficiency, I'd "go green" with an energy saving CFL or LED bulb! Yup!

I remember looking at thise Isotron antennas and thinking if I got anough parts and pieces and starting putting them together I would eventually come up with a design that worked, to a degree. Same principle as putting 1 000 000 chimps in a room with typwriters and sooner or later getting the constitution.

isotronantenna.jpg
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"