Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FBI Investigating St. Louis Cardinals Front Office

FBI Investigating St. Louis Cardinals Front Office

The FBI is conducting a criminal investigation of the St. Louis Cardinals front office on allegations that they hacked into the database(s) of the Houston Astros.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/sp...=top-news&_r=0
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13...stros-database
    http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/06/16/st-...houston-astros

Essentially, the current GM of the Astros came from the Cardinals organization. Someone figured that he might be using the same passwords with his new team that he used with the old one, and tried them... and they worked.

The articles assert that one of the reasons that the hack was attempted was that members of the Cardinals front office appear to have been concerned that when the (now) Astros GM left their organization, he may have taken sensitive information with him.

If these allegations are true... and they appear to be... this is much worse than Deflategate. There's a huge difference between breaking a League rule (be it the NFL or MLB) and breaking the law.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

if you or I was to do this, we would already be in jail.

HOWEVER, I got a feeling this will just end up with a fine and a slap on the wrist.
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

I wonder who that leaves on first.
    Last edited by K7SGJ; 06-16-2015 at 02:02 PM.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by W2IBC View Post
    if you or I was to do this, we would already be in jail.

HOWEVER, I got a feeling this will just end up with a fine and a slap on the wrist.
    Oh, I'm sure there's some backroom negotiating going on between the MLB Commissioner's office and the Cardinals front office and/or ownership.

I suspect that when all is said & done, there will be some staff terminations or unpaid suspensions at the very least.

A huge fine wouldn't be out of the ordinary, and the Cardinals may be forced to make some sort of compensation to the Astros as well.

And to be honest, I'd be severely disappointed if a couple of those involved didn't serve some jail time.

This ain't Deflategate. More than just MLB rules were broken.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

So, a bit like FIFA then?
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    So, a bit like FIFA then?
    No. No evidence of graft or an egregious misuse of funds as is alleged was done by FIFA officials, just a dick move by some moron in the Cardinals front office.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Speaking of dick moves, BTW, the Padres front office fired manager Bud Black yesterday. Always bad baseball ju-ju to fire a manager mid-season.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    The FBI is conducting a criminal investigation of the St. Louis Cardinals front office on allegations that they hacked into the database(s) of the Houston Astros.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/sp...=top-news&_r=0
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13...stros-database
    http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/06/16/st-...houston-astros

Essentially, the current GM of the Astros came from the Cardinals organization. Someone figured that he might be using the same passwords with his new team that he used with the old one, and tried them... and they worked.

The articles assert that one of the reasons that the hack was attempted was that members of the Cardinals front office appear to have been concerned that when the (now) Astros GM left their organization, he may have taken sensitive information with him.

If these allegations are true... and they appear to be... this is much worse than Deflategate. There's a huge difference between breaking a League rule (be it the NFL or MLB) and breaking the law.
    The Cincinnati Reds bribed Houston to rat them out.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    Speaking of dick moves, BTW, the Padres front office fired manager Bud Black yesterday. Always bad baseball ju-ju to fire a manager mid-season.
    It's a signal that the ownership/front office have given up on the season. Look for some of the more talented players to be sold off, and the aging veterans to be released.

Keep in mind that the Padres ownership changed a few years ago, and they have a new GM this year. Bud Black was hired under the old ownership & management. So this (the reason for the firing, under-performing team) is merely a convenient excuse for the GM to bring in his own people. That the GM is the one who signed the under-performing "stars" is conveniently overlooked... by him.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!

Forum Addict
    Steinbrenner would have done this if he was an owner today.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry