Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: I need a good Ten-Tec guy.

Quote Originally Posted by W2IBC View Post
    I was on for a bit around 730pm'ish edt.

prob N2FUV calling people niggers again.
    The same synthesized voice which has targeted 'KFM on occasion now has 'FUV in its sights. When the FCC finally collars that one it'll be berrrry interesting to see who's behind the curtain.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    The same synthesized voice which has targeted 'KFM on occasion now has 'FUV in its sights. When the FCC finally collars that one it'll be berrrry interesting to see who's behind the curtain.
    yeah it will, I do know FUV gets on 7200 and says how he hates nigs,rednecks,hillbillies,and everything else so any time I hear anyone talk about someone dropping the n word on 7200 my 1st thought is always fuv
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Steering this back to radio equipment:

I contacted Ten-Tec this week regarding some parts for a 253 antenna tuner. Mind you, the pre-RKR outfit could supply spare parts for stuff as old as a Power Mite.

They have none of the stuff I needed in stock, including the ever-popular plastic end caps used on the front panels of damn near every piece of gear made from the Corsair series through the Paragon and Omni VI days. I was able to readily obtain these just two years prior with no sign of them being discontinued. Now...no longer available.

John, 'DPO possibly called it right in a review thread on another site. I have a feeling if I want a new U.S. produced transceiver it'll either be a K3S or a DZKit Sienna.

Looks like it's time to start hoarding junkers if I want to keep my Sevierville gear on the air. Damn sad.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I received my DDS Kit. No directions, but I am hoping I can find something online..... I'd hate to have to figure this out myself.
    Please don't take that as a complaint. It's not. I am overjoyed that Joe helped me out. Awesome guy!

I'm just doubting my abilities...... :)

"One man with courage makes a majority." ~ Andrew Jackson

Steve KA9MOT
    Macomb, IL

One of my local buddies is consulting for RKR now, on the Alpha side... Specifically the high powered auto tuners. He's affirmed that the old parts support is pretty much over. Shame, but not surprising.

So, maybe my Ten Tec Museum will achieve a little more value?

I do think the DDS route is a good solution for longevity.
    Last edited by WØTKX; 10-12-2015 at 08:02 PM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Well, it's getting harder and harder to figure out what's going on in TN. John Henry KI4JPL, the former head of engineering, is saying all the right things... making it clear that he is no longer an employee and is going by what he hears.

It's not entirely a surprise, though it's sad, that the large stockpile of NOS parts is pretty much gone. Between the new ownership setting their own policies, and the move to new quarters (and dumping a LOT of old stuff, not just parts inventory) in the process, it was inevitable. And in all fairness, they never had an unlimited parts supply. Some stuff is just plain unobtainium, either due to age, or due to the side effects of the move.

Even so, as I've said to some privately, the impression I'm getting is that RKR may simply not have sufficient cash on hand at present... they may have overextended themselves in the buyout. IF that is the case, and it is purely speculation on my part based on my reading of the tea leaves, let's hope that it is a temporary situation (word I have from my sources is that TT just got a large commercial order, which was a big shot in the arm).

It would be nice if we knew more about what's going on, but it is a privately owned company and they have no public or legal obligation to reveal their inner workings.

Meanwhile, the web vultures are flying over what they presume is a soon to be corpse, and they're letting everyone know it. I received over the weekend an email from someone telling me that all is lost, see the forums Over Yonder and on eHam for details, since I didn't know. (Obviously the schmuck didn't pick up that I was already participating in many of these threads... why let the facts get in the way of an opportunity to dig up more dirt and spread it around?).

No, things aren't looking good... but the company's not dead yet. I'm not ready to start digging the grave, let alone start putting the dirt back in on the coffin.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

All of mine still work very well, with the exception of the Omni D series B and it's "getting goofy" PTO. I have one more rebuild kit around here somewhere.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I had to go to the local crafts store to find some elastic cord to restring the dial indicator on the Argonaut 505 but other than that, it's working great. Neat little rig.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    I had to go to the local crafts store to find some elastic cord to restring the dial indicator on the Argonaut 505 but other than that, it's working great. Neat little rig.
    Want some honest to god no shit dial cord?
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Want some honest to god no shit dial cord?
    Thanks, but it won't work on the 505, which uses elastic cord. It functions as both cord and spring, stretching as you tune up the band and contracting as you tune down. I discovered that it's important to run the pointer all the way back to the low end of the dial at the end of a operating session because it relieves the stress on the elastic.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.