Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a good Ten-Tec guy.

Kewl. I have one more Omni-D that I need to fix. Cleaning only helped it some.

I'm out of the PTO rebuild kits. Should have bought more when they were available.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Thanks Ron,

I saw Wade's reply and I am going to take him up on it. I'm also going to look into the info on the DDS kit.

"One man with courage makes a majority." ~ Andrew Jackson

Steve KA9MOT
    Macomb, IL

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Kewl. I have one more Omni-D that I need to fix. Cleaning only helped it some.

I'm out of the PTO rebuild kits. Should have bought more when they were available.
    3021307-inline-fb-thumbsup-printpackaging.jpg

"One man with courage makes a majority." ~ Andrew Jackson

Steve KA9MOT
    Macomb, IL

I hear a lot of good things about the DDS kits. I just hate to muck with the Corsair when there's nothing wrong with it, but should the time come...
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    I hear a lot of good things about the DDS kits. I just hate to muck with the Corsair when there's nothing wrong with it, but should the time come...
    I'm going to do a "before and after" comparison (PTO/VFO vs. DDS) with one of my SB-104As and one of my TR-7s using a spectrum analyzer. The DDS will be temporarily connected to the mixers instead of being permanently installed, and should IMD/phase noise figures be equal to or lower than the stock parts, every rig I own that can be converted is going to get a DDS VFO installed.

Stability, RIT, dual VFOs and split mode (without having to run an external VFO) - what's not to like?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Setting aside that I don't have the spare shekels right now to buy a DDS kit... there's simply nothing wrong with the Corsair's PTO. (I have some other issues with the rig, which some contact cleaner and filter resetting ought to fix)

And much as I love the rig, the reality is that it's about 30 years old, and is now the 3rd rig in the shack, so it gets lightly used. Not sure if I'm ready to make the time & $$ investment in upgrading a PTO that's working just as it should.

Now, what would be a neat thing to do would be to (eventually) get my hands on a DDS kit, and build a "new" Remote VFO. That could easily be adapted for other rigs (since the 5 - 5.5 MHz PTO is very common), and would certainly be of interest to those with a Corsair/Corsair II & similar vintage rig that is capable of supporting an external VFO, but simply wasn't purchased with the option.

Eventually, though. I have other priorities in the shack right now, all of which come after getting the house ready to host Little Miss Field Day's graduation party in a little over a month.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 300!!!!!

Are we all invited? Bob wants to know if there will be lots of food. Adam wants to know if there will be lobster, and Carl said he'll bring lemons from "The Grove".
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Now, what would be a neat thing to do would be to (eventually) get my hands on a DDS kit, and build a "new" Remote VFO. That could easily be adapted for other rigs (since the 5 - 5.5 MHz PTO is very common), and would certainly be of interest to those with a Corsair/Corsair II & similar vintage rig that is capable of supporting an external VFO, but simply wasn't purchased with the option.

Eventually, though. I have other priorities in the shack right now, all of which come after getting the house ready to host Little Miss Field Day's graduation party in a little over a month.
    Set your shekels aside. I have a C-II remote VFO with your name on it should you want the thing.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Are we all invited? Bob wants to know if there will be lots of food. Adam wants to know if there will be lobster, and Carl said he'll bring lemons from "The Grove".
    Not to mention a case of “sacramental” Chateau Lafite Rothchild 2003 from the Vatican cellars.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 05-27-2015 at 03:33 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Set your shekels aside. I have a C-II remote VFO with your name on it should you want the thing.
    How many shekels are we talking about?

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 300!!!!!