Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Linux 5.2.8 and fldigi?

Master Navigator

Puppy Linux 5.2.8 and fldigi?

When my old Acer 3620 laptop disk drive started acting squirrely, I wiped the drive and used a live disc of Puppy to keep a'going. I downloaded the pets for fldigi yet they fail to execute.

What would be a good next step?

Master Navigator
    I'm not familiar with Puppy but did you try running it with administrator/root privileges?

Master Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by K0RGR View Post
    I'm not familiar with Puppy but did you try running it with administrator/root privileges?
    The file has rwx, r-x, r-x, --- permissions. I don't know what my permissions are (I'm a noob with linux) or how I'd find out, actually.

Thanks for the reminders... I have to get a CD of Puppy Linux made to run on some older laptops.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by w0aew View Post
    The file has rwx, r-x, r-x, --- permissions. I don't know what my permissions are (I'm a noob with linux) or how I'd find out, actually.
    Those permissions would indicate 'read' + 'write' + 'execute', ie, full permissions for the owner (the first set of values)
    The group who 'owns' the file (often the same as the owner) has 'read' only and execute permissions.
    The last set of values is 'others', and they also have 'read' only and 'execute' permissions.

I agree that you likely need to install this app with root/administrator privileges. In Debian linux distributions (Ubuntu, Mint, Debian) this is done by preceeding the command with: "sudo <executable> at the commend prompt. The application won't be able to install files in directories above /home/user without being run with elevated privileges.

I had this same issue installing jnos on an Ubuntu machine. Root/Administrator privileges did the trick.
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Master Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg View Post
    Those permissions would indicate 'read' + 'write' + 'execute', ie, full permissions for the owner (the first set of values)
    The group who 'owns' the file (often the same as the owner) has 'read' only and execute permissions.
    The last set of values is 'others', and they also have 'read' only and 'execute' permissions.

I agree that you likely need to install this app with root/administrator privileges. In Debian linux distributions (Ubuntu, Mint, Debian) this is done by preceeding the command with: "sudo <executable> at the commend prompt. The application won't be able to install files in directories above /home/user without being run with elevated privileges.

I had this same issue installing jnos on an Ubuntu machine. Root/Administrator privileges did the trick.
    Now I'll show you what a noob I am at this. Puppy linux is a windows-oriented OS but it does have something called RoxTERM, the only "command line" interface I've found so far. So, when I typed "sudo ~/my-applications/bin/fldigi" it says "sudo: command not found".

Quote Originally Posted by w0aew View Post
    Now I'll show you what a noob I am at this. Puppy linux is a windows-oriented OS but it does have something called RoxTERM, the only "command line" interface I've found so far. So, when I typed "sudo ~/my-applications/bin/fldigi" it says "sudo: command not found".
    It seems Puppy Linux runs in the root account by default. Odd. I did find these installation instructions written by the fellow who wrote fldigi:

http://www.w1hkj.com/flpuppy.html

If that doesn't work, I'll install Puppy Linux in a virtual machine (VirtualBox) this weekend and have a go at it.
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Master Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg View Post
    It seems Puppy Linux runs in the root account by default. Odd. I did find these installation instructions written by the fellow who wrote fldigi:

http://www.w1hkj.com/flpuppy.html

If that doesn't work, I'll install Puppy Linux in a virtual machine (VirtualBox) this weekend and have a go at it.
    Yes, those are the instructions I followed, and the "pets" I installed.

Well, Art, I installed Puppy Linux 5.7.1 on a 4 GB USB stick. I made a bootable, live CD with Puppy Linux 5.7.1, booted the machine with it, inserted an empty USB drive, and ran the universal installer. Restarted using the USB stick, all went well.

I then downloaded each of the indicated files, saving them in the 'Download' directory. I executed them in the order W1HKJ had on his web page, and it installed flawlessly. In each case, I used the file browser (Rox) to run the install files. The shortcuts were placed (by the installers) in the 'Network' menu group. I went there, clicked the 'fldigi' file, and it ran perfectly:

My thoughts?

1. You're using an earlier version of Puppy Linux than suggested on W1HKJ's web page. May be an issue with the older libraries.

2. You're not running as root. To check, open a terminal window (Console), type 'whoami' (without the quotes), and hit enter. It should say 'root'. If it doesn't, you can switch to root by running: su root in the console. Repeat the 'whoami' command afterwares to confirm.

3. Did you actually save disk space for your files and stuff during the installation? I noted that since Puppy Linux is designed to be run on a USB thumb drive, you must indicate how much space is reserved for the session configuration and any files you wish to save.

Let me know if any of these suggestions work!

Kewl.

Used fldigi a few years ago with my Pegasus and N4PY software. Then, I spent a few years running Ham Radio Deluxe (free).

I've been using fldigi again for over three years, because it works so well with my Flex 3000, and I prefer the logging.

That's when I started using MultiPSK as well, for the weirder modes and Utility DXing.

Another cool thing (of course) is fldigi works on "nix" and Winders.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman