Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B.B. King, 1925-2015

B.B. King, 1925-2015

RIP, Mr. Riley B. King. You were the King of the Bluesmen.

NY Times obituary.
    Last edited by NQ6U; 05-15-2015 at 11:45 AM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Another big name and musician gone...
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I saw that on the news this morning. The loss of another music icon that helped shape R&B is very sad. RIP Mr. King.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    I saw that on the news this morning. The loss of another music icon that helped shape R&B is very sad. RIP Mr. King.
    R&B and rock & roll.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Forum Addict
    :(
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

sad news. seen it on the news this morning.
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6BSO View Post
    R&B and rock & roll.
    That's very true. I saw Eric Clapton on the news talking about how much he was inspired by B.B. King. I hadn't seen Clapton, or even any pictures of him for quite awhile, and wouldn't have probably recognized him. But he is still one hell of a singer/songwriter.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Adding it up, and some of it is a blur... I've seen him 9 or 10 times over the years.

At a small club in the late 70's, downtown Minneapolis, maybe the third or fourth time I saw him, he was shall we say "underbooked". Club sat 150+, maybe 40 people were there. He didn't care one bit, and at the first break he made a warm and funny little speech about missing the smaller clubs, and well, here we are, a small club inside a big room. They took a break, and he wandered around and introduced himself. Asked us neat questions about what kind of music we liked, and took a bunch of requests. What a great spirit. What an entertainer.

My wife Betts and I saw him play with Peter Frampton's Guitar Circus, and they did The Thrill is Gone together. He had to sit the whole time, and two big dudes helped him to and from his chair. The altitude kicked his ass, but he dearly loved playing at Red Rocks and ripping it it with Frampton and the gang. He messed with the crowd and did a few songs solo too. I'm honored and thrilled that that was the last time I saw him, because... there had to be a last time. And it was spectacular. Sigh. Thank you B. B., from the whole freakin' planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubvBuvAJnCs

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I love me some blooooz. What can any of us say? The Thrill is Gone.