Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Opinions on Yaesu FT-991

Master Navigator
    You might consider selling the 817 and getting a KX3 for your portable work. 10 watts is 3 dB better than 5. They have a 2 meter add on for it now, too.

The 991 looks OK to me - if someone gave me one I wouldn't throw it out. It might eventually become a replacement for my ancient IC-746. I don't think it would
    be a very good portable, though - I bet it sucks battery power at a serious clip. You might want to check the specs. I looked at their ads and they don't list receive current drain, and their website rejected my attempts to download a brochure.

I wish the thing had a remote head option, just like I wish the 817-ND did. Mounting options for either are severely constrained in and on my vehicles.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Island Regular
    South Wales, UK (but... Currently Santa Catarina, Brazil)
    I'm not sure I can afford to go for a KX3 plus a new radio for the house just yet, but it's a consideration for the future. I need to do my homework on the KX3 first though. I have the manual for the 991, so I'll check the standby current now... Gimme a sec... Whew,

RX - no signal - 1.8A
    RX - signal present - 2.2 A

bit of a hungry hippo Amps wise.

it would be nice if the head could be used remote like some of the other radios. When I started out in amateur radio, I had the 897D. Great set, which I used as a base and portable set. I assumed the 991 was its replacement. I now think I'm wrong.... Still kind of like it though. Damn... Lol
    I would NEVER lie and tell her my shiny new transceiver cost anything less than the damn good bargain basement reduced twice mates rates super sale deal you won't find anywhere else ever again price that I got it for :)

I just thank God she never looks at the suppliers websites. I'd be single and minus my antenna wing-nuts before I could call CQ