Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring in the desert

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    You are right. Usually, swarming bees that stop so the queen can rest are usually pretty docile, especially if left alone. They only stick around a few days anyway, so just keeping some distance and keeping the animals away is all you really need to do. Once they have set up residence and started the hive, all that changes, and they can be mean as hell. It seems like over the last few years the bees out here have become more and more aggressive. I don't know if it's from cross breeding with the Africanized bees or what. Even suited up, I've been stung 25 or 30 times, not counting my hands, in the last few days dealing with the hive under the connex. If the protective clothing gets tight anywhere like in the legs when squatting, they can sting right through it. They even got through my leather gloves and have stung the shit out of my hands. But, that's their job, I guess.
    My buddy gave me several racks of full honey, pollen, and honeycomb every year that I allowed him to places about 4 hives in my 3 acre back yard. I swear those years I was regularly eating honey, pollen, and wax from my neighborhood flowers, and grasses, I had absolutely no allergy problems. I used to have it so bad, I had to take shots. That gooddammned bee barf is magick medicine.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Quote Originally Posted by KG4NEL View Post
    I would die. Literally.

Carry an Epi everywhere...
    I like the way you think!

Epi.jpg
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.

Quote Originally Posted by N7YA View Post
    I like the way you think!

Epi.jpg
    Hell yeah!!!!

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    My buddy gave me several racks of full honey, pollen, and honeycomb every year that I allowed him to places about 4 hives in my 3 acre back yard. I swear those years I was regularly eating honey, pollen, and wax from my neighborhood flowers, and grasses, I had absolutely no allergy problems. I used to have it so bad, I had to take shots. That gooddammned bee barf is magick medicine.
    it is amazing, but damn it does work
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Natural wild honey has so many benefits to speak of...plus, it tastes great!

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Today, my wife brings this in and gives him to me

Attachment 13826

"Cute" says I, and let him run around in my hand and on my arm.

Attachment 13827

So now, it's time to figure out what the hell to do with it. It's not quite big enough to be on it's own yet, so I figured we'd just raise it for a few more weeks, then release him. Over the years, we have fostered all kinds of animals, birds, and what not, and it is really cool saving and raising these little animals, and then being able to release them back to the wild when they are able to survive. But I digress. Then, I walk out to the area where she found him, and I see this

Attachment 13828

So, I figure this might be where he came from, and decide to put him back in the hole, which by the way is only a little bigger than a quarter (a bit smaller than a toonie, Gerry). He scurries in, and I figure that's the last of it, but noooooooooooooo

I go back later, and it looks like a ground squirrel clown car

Attachment 13829

I have to admit, these things are a hoot. They're lots of fun to watch and photograph, but I have to be careful not to let them get too trusting around humans. They are kind of getting accustomed to seeing me out there taking photos, and don't seem too scared of me. The other problem is keeping the dogs from digging them up, too. This is a neat time of the year out here.
    Is that a baby giraffe? I like giraffes, they'll stick their necks out for you.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by N7YA View Post
    Natural wild honey has so many benefits to speak of...plus, it tastes great!
    It is great stuff. The American Indians were aware of this for centuries and had many uses for wild honey like burying some guy up to his neck and poor it over his head.:) And it really does taste great.
    We never had weather like this before they started messing around with that internet stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ka4dpo View Post
    It is great stuff. The American Indians were aware of this for centuries and had many uses for wild honey like burying some guy up to his neck and poor it over his head.:) And it really does taste great.
    At least he died tastefully.

At least his head tasted good.

cul de n8tb

It only hit 97 F (36.1 G) today, and the critters are waking up. It's amazing how well these guys can blend in with the desert.

IMG_4125_resize.jpg

IMG_4132_resize.jpg

This is what the little ones look like

IMG_1424_resize.jpg

They help make short work of the ants, spiders, and such. I just wish they had a taste for bees.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL