Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: I'm At It Again

I'm not a member of the forum I'm posting a link to. I just wanted to double check my thinking of the last few years. There is a general consensus among bikers that you don't apply tire shine to bike tires. I know Warren was just making talk. I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows not to do it in case they didn't know. Don't use it on your seat either. That is the contact patch for your butt.

https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forum...ike-tires.html

Oh I'm well aware of leaning on a bike, in a turn the front wheel moves out of line very little. I was unaware the sidewall contacts the road, it seems to me to be a good way to ruin tires darn quick, that's why there are fat tires with a curved tread area. I always thought that ordinary tires having thin sidewalls flexed when lateral force is applied like car tires and the tread area remained flat against the road. Maybe I should stop comparing tires? Maybe I should stop watching the OCC guys road test their show bikes ASSuming they shine up the tires in the shop when they actually put the finishing touches on just before loading them in the trailer.

"I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows not to do it in case they didn't know."
    I rode on everything from a 50cc Honda to a 1200cc Harley Sportster, but never owned a 'cycle. My bike was a 3 speed Columbia, but all that was before Armor All was invented. Shine the seat? No need to when my butt always made a good job of it, and the seat made a good job of shining my butt.

I'll leave you guys with something I learned worth passing along. If any of you live near drawbridges, and they always have a steel lattice deck that hums when you drive over it, NEVER slow down on a bike, traverse it at highway speed! I was with a friend on his new Kawasaki 250, a nasty 2 stroker that coated us with oil, there were several drawbridges between our town and where a couple of girls were we went to see "down the shore". Being a novice he thought the steel deck was slippery on a bike, so don't take it at the 50mph highway speed. He slowed and the bike wobbled all over the place and nearly wiped out, we were so glad it didn't. I suggested taking the next one at 50, "you'll either kill us or you won't." He did and the bike took it in stride, it must have been the gyroscopic action of wheels turning fast, but whatever it was it taught us a lesson, take the steel deck fast, straight, and true, you'll never notice anything but the hum.

BTW, I'm glad two stroke engines were outlawed except for on small power tools, when we got home we went in the shower, our clothes in the wash, and getting oil off our helmets and the bike was a challenge. I wonder if it was worth the effort, the very next ride, up the side of a mountain this time, got it all oiled up again. Oh, a few years later we did it again with another friend in Pennsylvania, in an Army surplus Jeep. Both mountains have switchbacks, when crossing the road the looks on driver's faces is priceless!
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 07-28-2019 at 01:25 PM.
    "New Jersey, the most American of all states. It has everything from wilderness to the Mafia. All the great things and all the worst, like Route 22."
    Jean Shepherd K2ORS (SK) & WOR radio personality

Engaging a troll is like playing chess with a pigeon. The bird will just knock over the pieces, shit on the board, and fly away to declare victory to his friends.

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Again, do not use tire shine or Amour All on your bike tires or seats.
    There, that was simple enough.

OOPS! A little too much Armor All........

GAS_Diablo_Gringo.jpg
    "New Jersey, the most American of all states. It has everything from wilderness to the Mafia. All the great things and all the worst, like Route 22."

Engaging a troll is like playing chess with a pigeon. The bird will just knock over the pieces, shit on the board, and fly away to declare victory to his friends.

73 de Warren KB2VXA

Now you're just being an asshole. Not the brotherly endearing type.

What CGC said. Years and years ago I put Armor All tire shine on my Yamahammer 850. Looked good riding until I leaned into the first turn.
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Hey guys. Been since November since I posted here. Please follow me on Instagram for daily content. This weekend I'll be at Steel in Motion. A celebration of older vehicles and lead sleds.

https://www.instagram.com/ashchackal/
    i've been watching for a while and have been pleasantly surprised (even though the subject matter is often outside my wheelhouse). i'm a bit envious of folks with this sort of skill ...
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    i've been watching for a while and have been pleasantly surprised (even though the subject matter is often outside my wheelhouse). i'm a bit envious of folks with this sort of skill ...
    Thank you. I take breaks with scenic type stuff. Landscapes, stars, the juxtaposition of linear steel against flowing nature.

"Now you're just being an asshole. Not the brotherly endearing type."
    With respect sir, now YOU'RE just showing that humor is lost on you. It may be expected when you switch the emphasis from biking to Armor All and repeat it too many times, once is quite enough. The product came out before this forum did, and back then we knew enough not to apply silicone oil to anything that should not be made slippery.

That having been said, 'nuff said on a subject that should never have come up in the first place. I appreciate nature photographs, I have a folder devoted to them that remind me of days gone by when I had neither a camera nor a bike goin' up a country, so I had to ride with friends also without cameras.
    "i'm a bit envious of folks with this sort of skill ..."
    Me too, add to it those not confined to a wheelchair.

73 de Warren KB2VXA