Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O-scope help

Orca Whisperer

O-scope help

So, I picked up my first o-scope, mainly for logic testing. So, I've figured out how to do that, but as a ham, what other tactics should I be whipping this unit out for? It's a Ramsey 2200 ($40 from an estate sale, I think I got a pretty ok deal on it), and comes equipped with a probe already.

And, should I bother getting a spare set of probes, or are these things pretty hardy?
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Look into building a line sampler for use in examining your transmitted RF waveform.

Does your HF rig have an IF Out whose frequency is lower than the scope's maximum vertical bandwidth? Connect it to the radio via good quality shielded coaxial cable and look at off-air signals.

Do you still have the PK-232s I sent up? They have a tuning indicator output, accessible via the 5-pin DIN connector IIRC. Put the scope's timebase control (sweep) in Ext Horizontal mode, connect the Mark line to the Vertical input and the Space to the Horizontal, adjust the vertical sensitivity so the two signals are roughly the same amplitude then tune for "crossed ellipses".

There are many more uses...I'll let the others chime in here too.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Not familiar with the Ramsey, but I'd just use them till they break and can't be fixed any more. There are all kinds of things that you can do. Looking at your audio for distortion comes to mind. Plus there are all kind of little add ons that can be useful. If you google curve tracer, there are all kinds of simple circuits to allow you to look at semiconductor junctions as well as capacitor and other component signatures. I don't know how high it goes in frequency, but if it goes into the rf region, you can build a simple sampler circuit to look at your transmitted signal. And, with the right adapter, you can pick up some pron channels.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Look into building a line sampler for use in examining your transmitted RF waveform.

Does your HF rig have an IF Out whose frequency is lower than the scope's maximum vertical bandwidth? Connect it to the radio via good quality shielded coaxial cable and look at off-air signals.

Do you still have the PK-232s I sent up? They have a tuning indicator output, accessible via the 5-pin DIN connector IIRC. Put the scope's timebase control (sweep) in Ext Horizontal mode, connect the Mark line to the Vertical input and the Space to the Horizontal, adjust the vertical sensitivity so the two signals are roughly the same amplitude then tune for "crossed ellipses".

There are many more uses...I'll let the others chime in here too.

Damnit Fred, get off my frequency. :stickpoke::stickpoke:
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Those look like what we had on our benches back in com/elec classes. Get a sampler cir.....um never mind.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Your next scope should be a Tektronix 7000 series. Then get some plugins for it.

Shown here is a 7603, arguably the most readily available of the lot. 100MHz B/W. Installed is a 7L13 1.8GHz spectrum analyzer plugin:

WEBTEKTR7603.jpg
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

7D01 logic analyzer plugin. 16 channels.

DSC_0535.jpg

7CT1N curve tracer. Checks diodes, transistors, FETs and so forth with accessory test fixtures.

tek7ct1n.jpg

7S12 TDR plugin. Use this to find impedance bumps and breaks in your transmission lines.

tek7s12.jpg