Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Classic Airliner circa 1954

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Here ya go. This is the Mohawk Airlines "Gaslighter" DC3.

I wanted to know whatever happened to the Gaslighter. I guess it was withdrawn from service in 1969...not sure what happened to it after that. I show N409D as currently being a Kingair B300.
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.

Quote Originally Posted by ka4dpo View Post
    I like the old Eastern airline video. I remember flying on Eastern for years and when they went under I think they resurfaced as US Airways.

So Arthur Godfrey used to live here in Leesburg, VA. The local airport which is about five miles from my house is named after him, Leesburg Godfrey airport. Art used to fly his DC-3 in and out of here all the time and it was well known that he liked to tipple a bit of gin now and then. Sometime in the late 50's he got high before he flew and buzzed the tower several times to show off for some friends. Consequently he was barred from his own airport and I don't think he ever used it again. According to some of the old folks around here he was not a very nice man.
    I have heard the same from many people. Many people described him (Godfrey) as obnoxious, overly pretentious, and in general not a pleasant person to be around. All I remember of him was that during the 1960's and into the mid-late 1970's he had a radio show on CBS AM that came on the air in the afternoons for an hour or so. Even in the video I sensed a bit of discontent towards Godfrey from the first officer. However, nonetheless I found the video enjoyable and interesting. And near the end Captain Rickenbacker had the future of air travel pegged down perfectly, except for the helicopter shuttles which never materialized in a big way. Although here in NYC we did have a helicopter that took off from the roof of the Pan Am building and shuttled people to the airports and back. However, that was discontinued after a helicopter tipped and a blade struck the roof and snapped off and the blade flew clear off the roof and landed in the street several blocks away injuring several people (one fatality as well if I remember).
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by N7YA View Post
    I wanted to know whatever happened to the Gaslighter. I guess it was withdrawn from service in 1969...not sure what happened to it after that. I show N409D as currently being a Kingair B300.
    I believe Mohawk sold off their entire fleet of DC3's, including the Gaslighter and replaced them with FH-227 turboprops (or as they called them "Vista Jets"). Perhaps the Gaslighter was later scrapped, being that it's registration no longer matches. Or perhaps it was put into service outside of the USA.

I have never flown in a large prop aircraft. I have been in the smaller turboprop commuter craft like from Denver to Durango. I was born too late. It seems when I was a little kid flying was a luxury. Nowadays it is just like a bus ride.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Conch Master
    Bermuda Triangle would you believe? Do-do-do-do .

Oops, I got the wrong tail number. Should'a been N409D

http://aviation-safety.net/database/...?id=19780921-0
    Last edited by KK4AMI; 03-29-2015 at 09:24 AM.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Conch Master
    N409D was sold to Houston Aviation Products. Eventually the registration was canceled (Aircraft was condemned due to accident or maintenance issues)

http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?Serial=72257

Probably rotting off the end of a runway in Texas.
    Last edited by KK4AMI; 03-29-2015 at 09:45 AM.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

I know that Mohawk switched out to the F-227's, and one crashed into a mountain (oddly named 'Pilot Knob'), then struggled to stay afloat...hard to do when that happens. They had 4 major crashes between 1963 and 1972. Allegheny bought them out after that.

I never got to fly in an old radial, the first plane i flew in was as a 5 year old, was a DC-8 on United. But i did fly in a C-141, that was fun. Kind of like being shipped in a noisy refrigerator.
    The louder the monkey, the smaller its balls.

Forum Addict
    Many of these aircraft had their start in military service or commission and later transitioned to civilian service. Yeah, the piston airliners had their problems yet , for the most part, were still quite reliable and safe.
    Being completely deaf at the end of the trip is my idea of business travel.

It'd help a lot with meetings I don't want to be in.
    Jim
    The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I know that Mohawk switched out to the F-227's, and one crashed into a mountain (oddly named 'Pilot Knob'), then struggled to stay afloat...hard to do when that happens. They had 4 major crashes between 1963 and 1972. Allegheny bought them out after that.
    Mohawk , like most airlines, had its share of accidents. In 1963 they lost a Martin 404. Later on the lost a BAC-1-11 and in 1972 they lost an FH-227 from LaGuardia to Albany. I remember the 1972 crash. It was a cold cloudy night with sleet falling in my area and I was riiding my bike and struggling home hoping I wouldn't skid and break my neck on the ice. Meanwhile about the same time a little over 100 miles north of me a Mohawk FH-227 approaching Albany airport was struggling to make the runway. They didn't and wound up smashing into a private home a couple of miles short of thhe runway. I remember hearing about it on the radio when I got home. Fortunately some passengers survived and the stewardess survived and lives to recount her memories of that horrible night.

I never got to fly in an old radial, the first plane i flew in was as a 5 year old, was a DC-8 on United. But i did fly in a C-141, that was fun. Kind of like being shipped in a noisy refrigerator.
    Only prop driven aircraft I have flown in was a single engine Cessna, a Piper Cub, and a helicopter. unfortunately I missed the golden age of aviation.

Mohawk , like most airlines, had its share of accidents. In 1963 they lost a Martin 404. Later on the lost a BAC-1-11 and in 1972 they lost an FH-227 from LaGuardia to Albany. I remember the 1972 crash. It was a cold cloudy night with sleet falling in my area and I was riiding my bike and struggling home hoping I wouldn't skid and break my neck on the ice. Meanwhile about the same time a little over 100 miles north of me a Mohawk FH-227 approaching Albany airport was struggling to make the runway. They didn't and wound up smashing into a private home a couple of miles short of thhe runway. I remember hearing about it on the radio when I got home. Fortunately some passengers survived and the stewardess survived and lives to recount her memories of that horrible night.

Only prop driven aircraft I have flown in was a single engine Cessna, a Piper Cub, and a helicopter. unfortunately I missed the golden age of aviation.
    Maybe someone will treat you to a golden shower instead.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL