Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: How come we don't do more on air contacts than we do?

Well, someday soon the thunderstorms will mellow out, and we'd be able to converse on 80.

Band gets good when it goes long in the winter. Can you do 60 meters?
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Speaking of doing more on the air. Thanks for all of your help and hard work Charles! Kind of surprised that our pipeline for communications between each other was not markedly improved, but it sure is great to have arm chair copy like we have these past two evenings. Anyway, be that as it may, I do now have the option to go vertical only which I haven't been able to do for a few years now. Looking forward to more rag chew sessions as well as adding a few more participants to the fray. Was nice to have William in Greer pop in and join us for a few minutes tonight too. Funny how no matter where you are or go band wise, eventually more find you and jump in. :)
    Last edited by WV6Z; 07-27-2015 at 09:14 PM.
    KD8EFQ ~ "With MFJ one might as well stand outside during the worst possible calamity and wair for death."

Hello, Tom! Great to see you here on The Island or "Hamis Land" as is oft referred by myself. (syntax is off tonight)
    Yessir! Six Zed and I have enjoy a couple of nights of 10m local chewing of the rag. Even though we're about 13 miles apart in a straight line, it takes me nearly an hour to get there. That being said, I'm somewhat down in a valley (an actual valley type terrain) at approximately 960 ASL while the Grand Exalted Poobah is at a nice peak of 1400'.

We did do a QSO about, oh, last May on 75m but conditions were prime while 10m sucked. Tried 75 last night and it vacuumed hard therefore we tried 10 and for whatever reason (you don't have to explain it to me) it's like someone opened up a pipeline. The difference between now and then is that I have erected 2 dipoles for 10m high up in the tree(s). N/W and E/W although I'll need to take the N/W down and reorient it to match the performance of the E/W with respect to the apex of the feedpoint and check for possible premature weathering in the solder joints.

There will be more antenna work in the near future for 20 and 40 meters.

Oh and with regard to going up to the big hills sometime soon Charles, I still have that monstrous quad mag mount affair that I ran on the roof of the Civic and a fist full of Hamsticks! I'm sure the old TS-430s would enjoy a trip to Caesar's Head Mtn.
    KD8EFQ ~ "With MFJ one might as well stand outside during the worst possible calamity and wair for death."

Quote Originally Posted by WV6Z View Post
    Oh and with regard to going up to the big hills sometime soon Charles, I still have that monstrous quad mag mount affair that I ran on the roof of the Civic and a fist full of Hamsticks! I'm sure the old TS-430s would enjoy a trip to Caesar's Head Mtn.
    We'll take cigars. I'll still enjoy one of those once or twice a year.

We should have done this! :(

Quote Originally Posted by WV6Z View Post
    We should have done this! :(
    Any plans for Shelby?

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Carl and I have had several QSOs on SSB and PSK, and it is very enjoyable. Actually, I like it better than exchanges on here and other internet venues. Don't get me wrong, I really like the exchanges on here, too, but putting a voice to the call is cool. I realize some folks don't have a station ready to go, and some are in process. But, many do have the capability to get on anywhere from QRP to QRO. Hearing the other parties voice, and just letting the conversation morph to where ever it goes is really fun. I know this has been kicked around before, but I would like to talk with as many of the Islanders as possible, or even have a go-to frequency or two for Island use to monitor.

I only run an older 100 watt rig, and have a couple of QRP rigs, and the antennas are a 6BTV vertical or an OCD with tuners. Nothing fancy, but it works. I think it would be a real hoot if more of us could chat on the air.

But then, I could be full of shit, too.
    Years ago me and a couple of the Island cats hooked up on a 2 meter VHF repeater in my area. It was great, Had an awesome chat. It was around rush hour during the winter and a lot of locals out of NYC started coming in on the drive home. And, those Islanders who participated got a chance to hear my glorious New York City regional accent...LOL. Anyway it was fun and I'd like to do it again, if not on vhf then directly on HF. If I can get an antenna up like my last one I know I can get a good signal on 160, 75, 40 and 20 at least. AM of course...
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Years ago me and a couple of the Island cats hooked up on a 2 meter VHF repeater in my area. It was great, Had an awesome chat. It was around rush hour during the winter and a lot of locals out of NYC started coming in on the drive home. And, those Islanders who participated got a chance to hear my glorious New York City regional accent...LOL. Anyway it was fun and I'd like to do it again, if not on vhf then directly on HF. If I can get an antenna up like my last one I know I can get a good signal on 160, 75, 40 and 20 at least. AM of course...
    Last night, on JT-9 (or JT-65) I made contact with a member of the Island but, he didn't respond to my "Ham Island 73".