Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oops, I think I messed up.

Conch Master

Oops, I think I messed up.

Our new potential house site has those big (Is it 15kV) high tension power towers crossing the sound into the City of Edenton. The wires are about 200 yards down from our house, not right over the house. Am I going to have HF radio noise issues with those wires? If so, is it a fixable situation because my wife loves the house?
    Last edited by KK4AMI; 01-05-2015 at 08:41 AM.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

"Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

:rofl: :rofl:
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    Our new potential house site has those big (Is it 15kV) high tension power towers crossing the sound into the City of Edenton. The wires are about 200 yards down from our house, not right over the house. Am I going to have HF radio noise issues with those wires? If so, is it a fixable situation because my wife loves the house?
    Despite Fred's "comment", the actual answer is; it depends. Mostly it depends on the band.

I am ~500 feet from 2 HV lines. If memory serves, one is 17KV and the other is 34KV. My noise levels on 20-10 are around an S3 right now. 40m is about S4, 80m is S5, and 160m (off of the TX vertical) is S7.

I've had some problems in the past (such as S9 on 80m), but those are issues with faulty line equipment. Phone calls to the power company usually fix them. Most of my noise here comes from the other houses around me, not the power lines.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

The wife or the house?
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Despite Fred's "comment", the actual answer is; it depends. Mostly it depends on the band.

I am ~500 feet from 2 HV lines. If memory serves, one is 17KV and the other is 34KV. My noise levels on 20-10 are around an S3 right now. 40m is about S4, 80m is S5, and 160m (off of the TX vertical) is S7.

I've had some problems in the past (such as S9 on 80m), but those are issues with faulty line equipment. Phone calls to the power company usually fix them. Most of my noise here comes from the other houses around me, not the power lines.
    In addition to Jim's comments, look into a noise canceller such as a Timewave ANC-4 or MFJ-1025/1026. I like the -1026 as it allows the use of an external sense antenna.
    Last edited by N8YX; 01-05-2015 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Conch Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post

Crap! But thanks, you give me some hope. Living out here on a hill away from town has spoiled me for stuff like amateur radio and astronomy. It is dark out here in terms of light and RF noises. The wife wants to move into a neighborhood so she can socialize. Since it took a crowbar to get her to move, I guess it's going to take a little compromise.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Conch Master
    Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    The wife or the house?
    I'm thinking.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Conch Master
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    In addition to Jim's comments, look into a noise canceller such as a Timewave ANC-4 or MFJ-1025/1026. I like the -1026 as it allows the use of an external sense antenna.
    I'm going to look into noise canceling filters, Thanks. I was just remembering my time stationed in Melbourne, Florida. Salt air and powerlines made for some interesting fireworks (lots of arcing and sparking)
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Underneath the Atomic Ooze of Hanford, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    Crap! But thanks, you give me some hope. Living out here on a hill away from town has spoiled me for stuff like amateur radio and astronomy. It is dark out here in terms of light and RF noises. The wife wants to move into a neighborhood so she can socialize. Since it took a crowbar to get her to move, I guess it's going to take a little compromise.

Bummer on losing the astronomy too!

That's probably the only thing I miss about Tulelake. There was very little ambient light, so the Meade got a lot of use.
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/nx6d/ham%20radio/SANY1260.jpg