Thread: Asus T100 WiFi "Limited Connectivity" Problem Resolved

Asus T100 WiFi "Limited Connectivity" Problem Resolved

I bought my T100 somewhere around the beginning of Oct 2014, from Staples, at a nice price - a Windows based tablet. Set up really nice, really long battery life, and MS Office Small office/student version to boot. Classic shell saved my sanity with bootup into the Windows Desktop (No Metro crap startup screen!!). Then, sometime in early November, I was at Applebee's for lunch, and I could not get a connection to their Wifi - it was there, but it would connect, then "limited connectivity", then disconnect, then start the cycle all over. Then the problem appeared at home. But it still worked well with other hotspots. Where it worked, and where it didn't seemed to be based on how new/old the wifi router was. I tried many suggestions here, and nothing worked. I could not download any webpages, always no server, no connection messages from the browser.

I called Asus tech support - they were clueless. We uninstalled the driver, reinstalled on bootup, problem still there.

Yesterday, it occurred to me that it was working on my home network early on, and worked really well.

So, a couple days ago, I restored the T100 (T100TA-C1-G2) to factory default, and did the custom setup, disabling all auto updates (it lies). Metro screen appeared (yup - restored). First thing I did was to pop in my MicroSD memory which had all the software and settings I installed, as well as all of my data files and settings files, and installed Classicshell - Reboot into the desktop. First thing I did was go into the control panel and to Windows Update, and would you know it - Windows automatic update was selected. Changed that to never update. Crossed my fingers, and connected to my network. Connection rock solid. Ran the Firefox (touchscreen version) stub. Downloaded, installed. Ran MS Office, popped in the activation numbers, it did its download, and installed. Opened Firefox, and had NO PROBLEMS downloading pages, no dropped connections, no sign of "limited connectivity". Network connection was rock solid. Reboot, installed antivirus stub, did the download, installed, and still full internet access.

I will continue to install the rest of my programs (will not take long) and never will update the OS. I have my T100 back where I started, working well, fully functional, full internet access - isn't this why we buy this tablet after all?

Bottom line, as long as Asus wasn't updating drivers that affected network connections, this is a Microsoft Update issue, and one of their updates probably caused this connectivity problem (poor Surface sales maybe?). Leveno and HP are experiencing the same problem on some of their products.

Advice - Backup your files and settings, and restore to default settings (bootup pressing F9), custom setup disabling all auto updates, and change the settings in Control Panel/Windows Update and select never update. A tablet with working network/internet connectivity is Much Better than updated windows with limited network/internet connectivity.

Some Leveno and HP units also have the same affliction...