Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why old radios are fun!

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Mine had a varactor for RTTY/FM and was stable as a rock. So where did you go wrong?
    Taking his first breath. :stickpoke:
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

It's the Radium.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

RADIUM, the undark of the future is here today!
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    Why run dark when you can run undark ?

There's no shortage of sharp poking sticks around here! We can excuse Mme. Curie's ignorance, but John... that's not how you make a Green Dragon even if it is a novel approach.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Mine had a varactor for RTTY/FM and was stable as a rock. So where did you go wrong?
    Probably with the vfo itself. Or the power supply. The 6n2 (model 122) vfo was designed for 6 & 2 meter AM and it would tend to drift considerably. Unless I monitored it and corrected for drift it would eventually drift far enough away to become problematic. Otherwise it worked quite well and I am sure if I improved the regulation of the power supply I threw together for it , it would have been more stable. I didn;t run the setup for very long so I didn't get to do much else with it.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

There's no shortage of sharp poking sticks around here! We can excuse Mme. Curie's ignorance, but John... that's not how you make a Green Dragon even if it is a novel approach.
    Unless you enjoy setting off radiation monitors.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

The hits keep coming, I tell ya:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heathkit-Ham...item27f72aa315

More like a "Nightmare Package".

There have been two HX-1681s offered for sale recently. One fetched $99 and was in very nice cosmetic shape. I got the other for $240 including all the cables and a PS-23. It needs a case repaint but I have a lot of those Heathkit covers to shoot come spring - and I buy my paint by the gallon.

I also have three of the HR-1680s. Average is $110 apiece. Two are getting custom front panels and a good amount of electronic redesign. The last one i bought - S/N 00551 - is a proof build unit and was obtained from an ex-Heathkit engineering manager. It's not going to be modded....but I think I'll build and letter another front panel for my 1681 to match:

HR-1680.jpg
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    The hits keep coming, I tell ya:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heathkit-Ham...item27f72aa315

More like a "Nightmare Package".

There have been two HX-1681s offered for sale recently. One fetched $99 and was in very nice cosmetic shape. I got the other for $240 including all the cables and a PS-23. It needs a case repaint but I have a lot of those Heathkit covers to shoot come spring - and I buy my paint by the gallon.

I also have three of the HR-1680s. Average is $110 apiece. Two are getting custom front panels and a good amount of electronic redesign. The last one i bought - S/N 00551 - is a proof build unit and was obtained from an ex-Heathkit engineering manager. It's not going to be modded....but I think I'll build and letter another front panel for my 1681 to match:

HR-1680.jpg
    You apparently have too much free time on your hands. Perhaps the boss can assign you more opportunities. I have something that looks similar in storage.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

I now have four things in the shack which the Crest Radio Museum doesn't:

The HR-1680 shown above;
    An engineering proof build SB-230 (RCA RF Input connector instead of the production unit's SO-239);
    A prototype SB-644 synthesized remote VFO;
    A prototype SB-670 2KW antenna tuner.

Some of them need cleaning before picture-taking commences but it's a lot of cool Heathkit history.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Very sweet indeed!